website statistics

Boxing Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

George_D

So the Canadian government has now written to the IOC to reinstate Mandy Bujold into the games.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/olympics-canadian-government-letter-ioc-mandy-bujold-1.6030458

This is a PR disaster waiting to explode for the IOC. Very difficult decision for them. 

To be frank, how would IOC reinstate her? We all know that Boxing qualification has been a disaster but don’t see how IOC can give WC to her without opening themselves to similar legitimate demand from many more. 

35 minutes ago, Dolby said:

To be frank, how would IOC reinstate her? We all know that Boxing qualification has been a disaster but don’t see how IOC can give WC to her without opening themselves to similar legitimate demand from many more. 

I agree, if they allow her to compete it opens up the possibility of many more claiming their right to compete, but if they don't the PR damage will be big too. Lose lose for the IOC in this case.

57 minutes ago, intoronto said:

I agree, if they allow her to compete it opens up the possibility of many more claiming their right to compete, but if they don't the PR damage will be big too. Lose lose for the IOC in this case.

I doubt there will be much PR damage, especially outside of Canada. Most people are understanding of the situation we are in and that some athletes will be unfortunately affected by it. If anything, it can be spun around to Canada trying to whine/complain its way to Olympic quotas. We are already pushing for a quota in canoeing and to a lesser extent a team in equestrian.

2 hours ago, intoronto said:

PR damage? Nobody knows about this outside Canada. 

It's bad but she just had bad luck, like many others.

why Canadian government didn't offer hosting the Pan-American Qualification event instead of sending this letter now ?!

all American boxers deserve an equal chance to qualify for the Olympics. this shouldn't be based on that useless ranking which wasn't important at the time and I'm sure so many other boxers beside Bujold didn't take it seriously. they can't play the pregnant card though.

Who is Mandy Bujold and what's the problem here? The article doesn't really make it clear for those who don't already know the details :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Who is Mandy Bujold and what's the problem here? The article doesn't really make it clear for those who don't already know the details :p 

She is a Canadian Boxer who won't go to Tokyo due to cancellation of qualifiers. She was on Maternity Leave during the tournaments that counted for rankings. So basically she was even denied of a opportunity to qualify for  Olympics