website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

5 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Mass shootings are bad. Duh. There is a systemic problem with gun violence in USA and I don't think any one can say that media has not covered it. But that does not mean that if Diplomats beat random citizens in another country, it is not wrong. If Chinese embassy staff do it in London, it is wrong. If American embassy staff do it in Beijing, it is wrong. If Indian embassy staff do it in Islamabad, it is wrong (and trigger for nuclear war). I don't get why we need to go in the whole Western media, racism, bullshit to defend it? 

P.S.: Fie on thee for making me defend Western Media on racism. :sick:

Beating someone is wrong in any country, there is nothing worth defending. What I want to emphasize is that what makes it newsworthy. We don’t often see news someone pee on the street on NYT front page.

And it’s quite understandable that anti-China news is catching on western media. Actually the Hong Kong pro-democracy activist POUR alcohol and BURN a pro-China civilian on the street in Hong Kong with full image and video. So how is it newsworthy and how bad the behavior is?

9 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

Beating someone is wrong in any country, there is nothing worth defending. What I want to emphasize is that what makes it newsworthy. We don’t often see news someone pee on the street on NYT front page.

And it’s quite understandable that anti-China news is catching on western media. Actually the Hong Kong pro-democracy activist POUR alcohol and BURN a pro-China civilian on the street in Hong Kong with full image and video. So how is it newsworthy and how bad the behavior is?

1) Embassy staff are going to be held up to a higher level of scrutiny. We shouldn't expect them to behave in the same manner as us. If you or I pee on the street, it won't make the news but tomorrow if Biden/Xi/Modi/Putin do it, I am sure all will agree that it is newsworthy. 

2) Media is biased. I find Western media's coverage of India highly racist and problematic. But, that doesn't mean that we have to attack them for any and everything. 

3) Burning a civilian alive is bad. Irrespective of the political position of the victim and culprit. 

22 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

Consulate staff employed by another country beating up a citizen in Manchester is pretty newsworthy. So is China's general attitude to critics outside China. Like when I know people who have to consider it whether they should leave the country due to their criticism towards China or when an embassy takes down posters outside embassy grounds.

5 hours ago, Vic Liu said:

Actually the Hong Kong pro-democracy activist POUR alcohol and BURN a pro-China civilian on the street in Hong Kong with full image and video.

That is obviously sad, horrible and inexcusable.

In other hand quite surprised to read there actually a pro-china civilian in Hong-Kong :p

12 minutes ago, hckošice said:

That is obviously sad, horrible and inexcusable.

In other hand quite surprised to read there actually a pro-china civilian in Hong-Kong :p

That's because media try to show you one side only. From past survey shows pro-democracy vs pro-China is around 60% vs 40%, it could be verified by the grass-rooted level election data in Hong Kong. But majority the youth especially students are pro-democracy and their voice are always prioritized to be heard and reported. The burned man is a 57-year old excavator driver,  as a typical conservative figure, his voice could not be heard through BBC or NYT.

That didn't take long. Liz Truss has resigned :lol:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-63332037

You might wonder how many Tories will come forward to become PM when it's clear a new election should be the only solution? Labour can literally do nothing and still hope for a historic victory at this stage?