website statistics

Athletes Retirements Thread

phelps

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Legendary speed skater Shani Davis. Hadn't raced since the 2018 Olympics, but had never said he's retired until now.

I remember him from 2002 games controversy. He is huge legend. But i loved Apolo Ohno more. ;)

57 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Guess Davis doesn't give a fuck about the Chinese government then? Makes the NBA drama look even more ridiculous :lol:

The difference being that he’s employed by the Chinese Federation itself, and NBA stands for (National Basketball Association) and is mean to be an American business held to American standards.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

The difference being that he’s employed by the Chinese Federation itself, and NBA stands for (National Basketball Association) and is mean to be an American business held to American standards.

So, an US individual shouldn't be held to American standards but an US company should be? What kind of a twisted logic is this?

6 hours ago, ChandlerMne said:

I remember him from 2002 games controversy. He is huge legend. But i loved Apolo Ohno more. ;)

I'm going to have to Google that, I have absolutely no idea what's with Shani Davis and the 2002 Games :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 hours ago, ChandlerMne said:

I only remember the 2018 controversy.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, Monzanator said:

So, an US individual shouldn't be held to American standards but an US company should be? What kind of a twisted logic is this?

I just don’t mind Americans coaching Chinese teams, but I do mind the Chinese government telling Americans how to speak and act.

6 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I just don’t mind Americans coaching Chinese teams, but I do mind the Chinese government telling Americans how to speak and act.

Right, USA is the global policeman after all. And I'm pretty sure Shani Davis won't be posting any tweets about Hong Kong :p

14 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I only remember the 2018 controversy.

I even only very vaguely remember something was going on there :p

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

11 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I even only very vaguely remember something was going on there :p

One hint: skin color

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest Posts around Totallympics

• Judging always takes two or three minutes in these competitions - longer even for possible medal runs - for reasons above, so just saying DNI is a way of saying it's not worth comparing a fall on the third hit to a fall on the fourth hit since neither are going to affect the overall.  
    • Scoring in all these events is a bit strange as they are not judging a pre-defined move to an absolute standard, as happens in diving, gymnastics etc, but are constantly shuffling around trying to score riders relative not only to each other, but to that riders' previous runs earlier in the competition and qualifying.  
    • Slovak Entry     Team  -  Prievan v peňaženke (Empty Wallet or literal translation"draught in the wallet")   Time for some retro-Rockl...   One of the most famous pre and post communism fall era, The Bratislava band Team led by its unique and charismatic singer Pavol Habera who was extremely popular during the most important period of our and czech history around the communism end in 1989. His band survived the hard censure of the regime and produced many, many and Many hits in this period.   Nowadays much older the lads are still playing however with slight softening of the original music style. Habera was also quite famous as Simon Cowell-style judge in the czechoslovak version of American Idol in the previous decade.   The song I picked was and is still a sort of a unofficial anthem of young people, I guess the majority of us knew this feeling about having constantly an empty wallet   but, without further ado, here is the 1989 song Prievan v peňaženke from Team, hope some of you will enjoy it     Lyrics       Lyrics   I guess it takes a special talent To be always running dry with money No use wasting any more words I'm one of those soft-hearted folks Who are always penniless   I'm a faithful friend to every bank But there's still no cash in my wallet Just a ten-penny coin, long time non-valid The sad end of payslip days   My wallet is always empty I lose bank notes by the pound My wallet is always empty I can hear their distant laughter…   There might be a Bermuda triangle in my wallet I can’t win this fight against nature My blood pressure is low and my salary follows suit My pockets are empty like those of a big-beat fan   My wallet is always empty I lose bank notes by the pound My wallet is always empty I can hear their distant laughter…   I'm the ultimate currency expert No success in my wallet Hey, bro ! could you lend me a twenty ? I'll be happy to return it later!   (Maybe!)   My wallet is always empty I lose bank notes by the pound My wallet is always empty I can hear their distant laughter… I guess it takes a special talent To be always running dry with money1 No use wasting any more words I’m one of those soft-hearted folks Who are always penniless I’m a faithful friend to every bank But there’s still litt https://lyricstranslate.com/en/prievan-v-pe%C5%88a%C5%BEenke-empty-wallet.html
    • Karate quotas for the 2025 Junior Pan Am Games:    https://a3a7237c5a.clvaw-cdnwnd.com/92587134f868557604df38abe147f64e/200165572-a4eb7a4eba/PAISES CLASIFICADOS - ATLETAS 8va POSICION - (1).pdf
    • Okay, I used the tables in the article to calculate the qualification rankings for flying disc (ultimate): https://wfdf.sport/2024/08/road-to-chengdu-qualifying-for-the-world-games-at-wuc-2024/    should be qualified by my math.  are tied in ranking points, so assuming  gets the host quota, I'm not sure who gets the last quota place between those two teams. Of course, none of this is official as only the federation can confirm who qualified. 
    • swept all three events: open, women's and mixed 
    • That's completely ridiculous, and another reason to get rid of it from Olympics.   But, to be fair, the WDSF Breaking rankings were quite precise during Olympic Qualification. They weren't clear about how the quota would be given, but imo, they find a good way to distribute the points.
    • were approved as new members of the WFDF ahead of the world ultimate championships last week: https://wfdf.sport/2024/09/wfdf-congress-approves-new-national-federation-members/
    • There will be a little more downtime for multi-sports games fanatics like myself. The ISF has something next month, but the schedule is pretty empty until December (2024) and January (2025). 
    • Alvaro Martin, gold and bronze 2024 Olympics medalist suddenly retires at the age 30