website statistics

Athletes Retirements Thread

phelps

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Gianlu33 said:

My passion for the eventing was growth years by years with him... Just this weekend I followed him  (and the italians :p ) in the NC. That's a very sad news :(

Yeah, nice that he finishes with Nations cup victory. I guess it was somewhat expected, as he has been really quiet in 2019.

Here's a report on his retirement - https://eventingnation.com/sir-mark-todd-announces-retirement-from-eventing/

#banbestmen

Wow, another olympic equestrian hero retired. First Millar, now Todd. :(

Was great watching him.

If i am not mistaken he still holds a record of biggest gap from 1st to last olympic medal. First in 1984, last one in London 2012. 

Aladar Gerevich is actually tied with him.

On 29/07/2019 at 01:49, ChandlerMne said:

Wow, another olympic equestrian hero retired. First Millar, now Todd. :(

Was great watching him.

If i am not mistaken he still holds a record of biggest gap from 1st to last olympic medal. First in 1984, last one in London 2012. 

Aladar Gerevich is actually tied with him.

Perhaps the most impressive thing about Todd is that eventing was more or less non-existent in New Zealand before his time. New Zealand debuted in the sport in 1984, where he immediately won the gold and then defended it in 1988.

Now when he retired, New Zealand is left with arguably the best cross country riders in the World, all of whom were inspired by Toddy.

#banbestmen

14 hours ago, dcro said:

Perhaps the most impressive thing about Todd is that eventing was more or less non-existent in New Zealand before his time. New Zealand debuted in the sport in 1984, where he immediately won the gold and then defended it in 1988.

Now when he retired, New Zealand is left with arguably the best cross country riders in the World, all of whom were inspired by Toddy.

Todd is recognized as a pioneer of three-day eventing in New Zealand. His success was followed by fellow New Zealand Olympic medallists and world champions like Tinks Pottinger, Blyth Tait, Vaughn Jefferis, Vicky Latta, Sally Clark and Nicholson. Jefferis once said: “We all owe a huge debt to Mark Todd. He was the first, and he paved the way for us".

20 hours ago, dcro said:

I heard only for Blyth, even though all others won olympic medals from 1988 to 1996. 

Edited by ChandlerMne