website statistics

Men's Basketball FIBA World Cup 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

5 hours ago, nenad said:

When I wrote it, Slovenia was playing a tied game. You are just so much misinormed for a person trying it's best to be so smug. 

Some people are more open to learn new things than others. I had no problem admitting that i was "misinormed" when it came to whether Turkey would be able to participate at the OQT or not, but obviously not everyone has that level of maturity. Too bad that you didn't feel like displaying the tremendous amount of "information" you have in the prediction contest. Maybe next time you will put your money where your mouth is?

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

3 hours ago, EselTheDonkey said:

While that's true, the women, in spite of being qualified, still play at the Qualification Tournament. So I can see, how OlympicFan got the idea, that the men can take part at the Qualifier as well. Even if they don't. It's a very odd rule by the FIBA.

Thanks for clarifying! Weird rule indeed. Still don't see how teams that are already qualified can be allowed to interfer with the qualification of other teams. If the french women feel that team A would be an easier opponent for them at the olympics than team B, they can lose against team A and win against team B to make it more difficult for team B to qualify.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

9 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Thanks for clarifying! Weird rule indeed. Still don't see how teams that are already qualified can be allowed to interfer with the qualification of other teams. If the french women feel that team A would be an easier opponent for them at the olympics than team B, they can lose against team A and win against team B to make it more difficult for team B to qualify.

The women’s qualification system is designed so that the final Olympic qualification tournaments double as preparation games for the national teams that will qualify for the Olympics, hence why the host and the world champion both participate. It’s a very odd system, but apparently the national federations themselves pushed for it.

That desire didn’t exist on the side of the men’s teams, apparently.

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

I know ...

My point was that they (as far as i know) can still participate in the OQT and therefore could potentially eliminate a team like Latvia, but maybe i was misinformed.

οf course not. As i said above OQT spots are already fixed. 24 teams , 6 teams in each OQT. There cant be 25 teams

6 hours ago, George_D said:

we arent favorites even with Giannis.. also i wouldnt underestimate Americas teams. Brazil could be a favorite if they host an OQT, and Bahamas will be very strong if their NBAers participate

We've failed at the OQT the last three times, maybe we should try to host this time.

Also we were very good with the team we had last year, won our first 6 games at Eurobasket (beat Italy in Italy, Croatia, Czechia etc) and lost to Germany (in Germany) who had a red hot shooting day and played one of their best games in German national team history.