website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2020

3 hours ago, Werloc said:

Seeing as TISC can easily lead to point margins such as 49 to 0, the margin of points between first and last would be equivalent of getting trampled by a horse that you were supposed to be riding. 

As @Olympian1010 already say it, that's seen more often than not at World Cups.

I actually like @Vojthas proposal, as it is simple.

What I probably do is just a slight modification: as in each "discipline" the maximum points a certain entry can reach is 72 (6x12, as they can't award points for themselves), maybe we could follow a method similar to that used in fencing, that is that those who reach 50 points (70% of said score) get a score of 250; then for each point above or below that mark you add or substract 2 pts.

Of course, just a proposal, not the final word.

33 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

As @Olympian1010 already say it, that's seen more often than not at World Cups.

I actually like @Vojthas proposal, as it is simple.

What I probably do is just a slight modification: as in each "discipline" the maximum points a certain entry can reach is 72 (6x12, as they can't award points for themselves), maybe we could follow a method similar to that used in fencing, that is that those who reach 50 points (70% of said score) get a score of 250; then for each point above or below that mark you add or substract 2 pts.

Of course, just a proposal, not the final word.

But it wouldn't change anything in comparison to simply adding - all the proportions would be held. The round system gives 250 points to different results in every round, which makes it more... yes, youth and urban.
I just wonder, if the 1 point in the final, handicap round is enough to make it exciting for the public. Maybe it should be two or three, so that the final round could really be a game changer?

25 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

But it wouldn't change anything in comparison to simply adding - all the proportions would be held. The round system gives 250 points to different results in every round, which makes it more... yes, youth and urban.
I just wonder, if the 1 point in the final, handicap round is enough to make it exciting for the public. Maybe it should be two or three, so that the final round could really be a game changer?

I think we should go with the Speed Skating Mass Start format. In the first four legs, the winning team gets 250 points/second 200 points/third 150 points/fourth 100 points/fifth 50 points/sixth 25 points/seventh 10 points. Then in the last leg, the winning team gets 1500 points/second 1250 points/third 1000 points/fourth 750 points/fifth 500 points/sixth 250 points/seventh 10 points. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

12 hours ago, Werloc said:

Oh cool, first I'll declare our teams' victory, then when our team starts losing, I'll say that we shouldn't have counted the votes from countries that are announcing their votes during the final session. When our team continues losing the lead, I'll proudly say that the system is rigged and that there were less registered Italian users than there were Italian votes and lastly I'll demand a recount. If that doesn't work, I'll demand a recount again or just say that sending votes to Heywoodu by PM shouldn't even be allowed. 

In honor of he-who-must-not-be-named, we could call it Bestmen College.

#banbestmen

Anyway, in my experience, the Team Challenge works best with a simple format. Maybe something based on team gymnastics like...

5 appaeatus, 4 gymnasts up, 3 scores count = 5 sessions, 4 nations up, 3 scores count (either best 3 session scores or best 3 individual sccores)

#banbestmen

Pablita: "Lyrics Can Be Problematic"

Ek89DiN.png

As joint head of The Committee, Pablita has accumulated extensive experience in evaluating TISC entries. Additionally, as national selector, she has lead Italy to numerous notable placings, including the victory at the Jubilee edition aboard L'esercito del Selfie.

Q: How do you go about evaluating TISC entries? Do you use a specific system when picking out your Top 12?

A: I listen to the songs in alphabetical order and I arrange them after each listening: is the second song better or worse than the first one? Is the third song better than the second one, but worse than the first one? And so on till the last. Then I listen again to the songs I like the most.

Q: And what about the maximum 12 points? Can you recognize it immediately? Or do you take a certain amount of time before deciding on it?

A: I discover the "winning song" only at the end because until the last song everything can change.

Q: Do you have a favorite music genre? Is there any genre you would like to hear more of on the TISC stage?

A: I prefer pop music, but the thing I like the most about our contests is the possibility of discovering new songs from different genres.

Q: How important are lyrics to you?

A: I'd like to know what the message/theme of the song is, so for the songs in languages different from Italian, English and Spanish, I prefer to have the translation or at least a brief explanation of the song. A song could be musically very captivating, but the lyrics could be problematic if you don't know what they mean. For example, singing in Italy this song aloud among other people could be hazardous, because the chorus says "Rape me, rape me, baby, rape me, rape me, rape me on the underground".

Q: And finally... How can we get 12 points from Pablita?

A: Choose a song in your language with a catchy chorus and tell me about the song/singer.

If Pablita's musical preferences still feel like a jigsaw puzzle - maybe this will help. Our resident Italian juror has outlined the following entries as favorites during the most recent editions...

Spoiler

Stay tuned for more user interviews to come, as we count down to TOISC 2020...

#banbestmen

:JOR JORDAN :JOR 

"In 2009, Jordanian Palestinian project El Morabba3, (The Square in Arabic) came to life to offer a groundbreaking sound with its unique music and socially engaged lyrics. The fresh rock/post-rock electronic sound, described as euphoric, holistic, spacey and raucous quickly catapulted the band to massive success and saw them become one of the leading socially and politically relevant bands reviving the Arab Independent music scene.

Elmorabba3 released their self titled debut on 2012 and on 2016 released their second album Taraf alKhait.

The band’s artistic journey witnessed a change in members through the years turning it more into a collective project of musicians and producers currently lead by co-founder, singer songwriter and bassist Muhammad Abdullah. Accompanied by producer Basel Naouri on keys, trumpet and electronic production, Zeid Mseis on drums and percussions and Firas Arrabi on electric guitar".

El Morabba3 - Ma Indak Khabar