website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2020

dezbee2008: "My 12s Are Either an Outlier or In-Line with Most of the Juries"

GzT0tOW.png

The United States have a colorful TISC history. Three-time podium finishers, one-time hosts, and celebrated leaders of the anti-establishment - all in large part thanks to dezbee2008. Suppose your entry is still pointless by the time the United States are scheduled to vote. Chances are your wait will be over right then and there...

Q: How do you go about evaluating TISC entries? Do you use a specific system when picking out your Top 12?

A: I wait until all the songs are known, and then I pick a time and date to listen to the entries. As I listen to the entries, I put them in 3 groups. Group 1 contains the songs that I will definitely vote for and they take up the higher points. Group 2 includes the songs that I want to vote for, but need additional listens. Depending on how many spots remain for the points, the top contenders fill the remaining spots. Group 3 are songs I eliminate after the first listen, due to either low quality or the song appearing longer than it is.

Q: And what about the maximum 12 points? Can you recognize it immediately? Or do you take a certain amount of time before deciding on it?

A: Most of the time, yes. As soon as I hear my potential 12 pointer, that game is over. The other songs will have to fight for 11 points. But there was one contest (can't remember on the top of my head) where I had 3 songs fighting for 12 points. Other than that, my 12s come in at first listen.

Q: Do you have a favorite music genre? Is there any genre you would like to hear more of on the TISC stage?

A: I am a 90s-00s hip hop and r&b girl, and because of my love for Eurovision, I have expanded my musical tastes to include pop, EDM, ethnic, and some rock music. I would love to hear more of these genres on the stage, especially hip hop and r&b.

Q: How important are lyrics to you?

A: Because of my piss poor reading comprehension skills, I focus more on the instrumentals than the lyrics. Although some songs (like Kodaline with Shed a Tear) have made the lyrics pop out, it's usually the instrumentals that generally do it for me, no matter what language the song is in.

Q: And finally... How can we get 12 points from dezbee2008?

A: That is an excellent question, haha. Honestly, I have a system in place, but you know how my 12s go -- they're either an outlier or in-line with most of the juries, with very few in-betweens. Even Olympian1010 joining hasn't stopped our anti-establishment traditions, so I guess the best answer I can give you is to keep trying. Eventually, things will fall into place.

If dezbee2008's musical preferences still feel like a jigsaw puzzle - maybe this will help. The leader of the anti-establishment has outlined the following entries as favorites during his two TISC participations...

Hide contents

Stay tuned for more user interviews to come, as we count down to TOISC 2020...

#banbestmen

justony: "It's No Secret I Am Big Eurovision Fan"

RYkWnHG.png

Few users have selected as diverse entries as justony. From pro-vegan anthems to neoclassical dark wave, Slovenia has sent it all. Even Tina Maze. Surely this also means any kind of song can score points from Slovenia? We asked justony to check...

Q: How do you go about evaluating TISC entries? Do you use a specific system when picking out your Top 12?

A: Firstly, I go through a quick listen, in which I dedicate around a minute, through the chorus, for every song, and I can already acknowledge who I like and who I don't. Then there are a couple of more deep listenings to decide on picking my top songs. 

Q: And what about the maximum 12 points? Can you recognize it immediately? Or do you take a certain amount of time before deciding on it?

A: Sometimes it got stuck in my head after very first listening. I try to avoid to award 12 points to the song, which I know from the past, unless if it is excellent.

Q: Do you have a favorite music genre? Is there any genre you would like to hear more of on the TISC stage?

A: I do not have a preferred genre. It is no secret I am a big Eurovision fan, from those old times, but I do also listen to a lot of rock, classic, dance, ...

I believe there is quite a respective representation of all genres in TISC.

Q: How important are lyrics to you?

A: Quite a lot, but much more important is that first vibe you get from the song. You can all check that I was quite often giving a lot of points [to songs] which I did not know the meaning. For example, there was one song from Hong Kong and one from Vietnam, which got me after first listenings, though not knowing their meaning.

Q: And finally... How can we get 12 points from justony?

A: There is no basic recipe. As I was saying, I am a huge Eurovision fan, but am able to reward also songs which would not fit in that genre.

If justony's musical preferences still feel like a jigsaw puzzle - maybe this will help. Our resident Slovenian juror has outlined the following entries as favorites during his two TISC participations...

Spoiler

Stay tuned for more user interviews to come, as we count down to TOISC 2020...

#banbestmen

23 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Correct.

I watched one documentary not long ago of one Serbian professor who studied English language and literature and then she took the Welsh too after one of her visits there. She was talking about Celtic languages in general, similarities, differences and from what I remember, she said Cornish and Welsh are classified in the same group. I listened a bunch of song in Welsh (I believe some of them I heard were posted by you here on the forum) so this "sounds" a bit "familiar", hence the guess.

I like the music in the song you posted.