website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 News

8 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Here it's 14 c and raining... 

I'm in the Sepulveda basin area and it's about 29c which will get hotter.   Palm Springs area (where Indian wells is) is 38 and it's gonna be way hotter in a month.  Hence.  Hell on earth 

1 hour ago, Book said:

Sepulveda switched from equestrian and shooting to skateboarding, archery, and BMX race and freestyle. Sucks that skateboardings not at Venice beach, but the Sepulveda Dam area has a good aesthetic for those kinds of sports between park and concrete. I wonder if they're allowed to put venues on or near the spillway?

Great news for me.

My aunt lives less than 10 minutes from that venue, so if I’m still around here by then, that could help my transportation budget :) 

And yeah, it sucks they will not use Venice Beach for skateboard and BMX freestyle.

2 hours ago, Book said:

These all are sensible updates. Not surprised they released these plans while the swim trials are being held a Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. That was clearly a test run for swimming at SOFI and a very successful one. Diving will move to the original Olympic pool behind Memorial Coliseum. That venue will need a big renovation but it nicely clustered. 

The other big change is Gymnastics at Staples/Crypto.com/Downtown Center. Gymnastics is the premier arena sport at the games so only right for it to move to the premier indoor venue in LA. The new Clippers arena is looking like a great place to watch Basketball, taking a lot of cues from European and college sports arena design to make things much more intimate.  

Sepulveda switched from equestrian and shooting to skateboarding, archery, and BMX race and freestyle. Sucks that skateboardings not at Venice beach, but the Sepulveda Dam area has a good aesthetic for those kinds of sports between park and concrete. I wonder if they're allowed to put venues on or near the spillway?

I don't know what Oklahoma City did to get softball and slalom, but if they want it they can have it.

Assuming these changes remain the other events left without a venue are: Flag Football, Cricket, Lacrosse, Squash, Baseball, Sport Climbing, and Surfing. I would have thought one of Flag Football or Lacrosse would get into SOFI but looks like the stadium is fully booked for swimming. Rose Bowl now? 

Here's the letter with full details and budget estimations:
https://la28.org/content/dam/latwentyeight/newsroom/news-stories/LA28VenuePlanAmendment.pdf

they have a brand new state-of-the-art slalom canoeing venue already hosting international events in the next future and the dream team of college softball (with thousends of fans ready to show up at the games)...I think it's enough to earn the honors

1 hour ago, Orangehair43 said:

Do they want the Olympics to petter out on TV in the second week? Swimming doesn’t rate that well really..

It's logistics. They are moving swimming to the opening ceremony venue, so they can't have it ready to host competition the next day.

1 hour ago, Orangehair43 said:

Do they want the Olympics to petter out on TV in the second week? Swimming doesn’t rate that well really..

in the USA swimming rates way better than athletics, actually :pope:

Edited by phelps

2 hours ago, Federer91 said:

So, the first week is going to be even more crowded, given that athletics airs 6-7 hours a day, while swimming is around 3.5 hours. Just make it 3 full weeks for Pete's sake!

well, they could make other moves to get things more balanced...we're just 4 years away ;)

2 hours ago, NearPup said:

It's logistics. They are moving swimming to the opening ceremony venue, so they can't have it ready to host competition the next day.

Watch LA get a week of rain as well - an outdoor swimming venue is all nice when it’s sunny but when it’s raining it’s not a nice look. 

28 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

Watch LA get a week of rain as well - an outdoor swimming venue is all nice when it’s sunny but when it’s raining it’s not a nice look. 

Sofi has a roof.