website statistics

Totallympics International Song Contest - Special Event

The Japanese gaming industry has touched many aspects of life around the world. Many people worldwide were exposed and grew up with Japanese video games and cartoons.

The Japanese gaming industry started around the latter part of the 60s and early part of the 70s. Several gaming development companies made it big in Japan, including Nintendo, Sega, Sony Computer Entertainment, Taito, Capcom, Konami, Namco, Square Enix, SNK and NEC.

Japan was not the first to invent video games, but when they did, they embraced it with such dedication and passion. Video game expert Blake J. Harris, who authored Console Wars, said that without Japan’s contributions, the video game industry would not be what it’s like today.

The country not only created video games. The Japanese also created software, hardware controllers and even the gaming culture, which greatly influenced console gaming.

Since video games were released as arcade games, music has become a part of the game. In the early days, players only heard computer beeps. Later theme songs were created for the games. Sony PlayStation, Sega Saturn and Nintendo 64 started the trend of sample audio clips for video games.

But music for video games took on a different path when Nobuo Uematsu was commissioned to compose the score for Final Fantasy. The series included music using vocals and a full orchestra ensemble.

To celebrate this day of Japanese culture, I'm going to present a musical piece by composer, Nobuo Uematsu, which he composed for the video game, Final Fantasy VII. 

Kendo, "the way of the sword", is another traditional sport in Japan. Essentially similar to fencing. Kendo has its influences in sword practices of the samurai. Kendo came from kenjutsu which is a type of sword-based training and fighting that came from samurai. Kendo is a martial art that typically uses wooden/bamboo swords, not real metal swords. Two opponents wearing protective armor and black hakamas will "duel" against each other using various sword techniques.

An interesting thing about kendo is that it often will be offered as an elective or optional sport in schools in Japan. If you ever go a Japanese school, you might just see some students practicing kendo with their full uniform on. It has a long significant history in Japan, and continues to prevail as a major cultural activity within the martial arts. 

The official song of the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan as sung by Kiyoe Yoshioka. The perfect song for our global celebration :)

Kiyoe Yoshioka - World In Union

World In Union

There's a dream, I feel
So rare, so real
All the world in union
The world as one

Gathering together
One mind, one heart
Every creed, every color
Once joined, never apart

Searching for the best in me
I will find what I can be
If I win, lose or draw
There's a winner in us all

It's the world in union
The world as one
As we climb to reach our destiny
A new age has begun

We face high mountains
Must cross rough seas
We must take our place in history
And live with dignity

Just to be the best I can
Sets the goal for every man
If I win, lose or draw
It's a victory for all

It's the world in union
The world as one
A new age has begun

It's the world in union
The world as one
A new age has begun

Another bit of how crazy Japan can be, with a song from a group called AKB48. 

This is a group of i-have-know-idea-how-many-but-definitely-too-many girls who is extremely popular in Japan. So much that they even have their very own cafe in the heart of Akihabara neighborhood in Tokyo, with a shop filled with souvenirs (some of them quite disturbing) and a coffee/bar where grown adult men go seat to watch in full screen videoclips from AKB48 songs.

They have many songs, I'll share the one that it was passing all the time in the stores/shopping areas when i went there about two years ago. Not my style of music, but I can say that on the flight back me and my girlfriend had this song stuck in the head after hearing so many times

Also there is an event where people vote on their favorite girl from the band (with codes they get by buying their stuff haha) and then the most voted girls get picked up for the main videoclips.

I learned all this because we were in japan during the time where they were doing the show/ceremony of revealing the fans votes on the TV and we got so perplexed with it that we went to wikipedia to try to understand what the hell was going on :lol:

19 minutes ago, kungshamra71 said:

Another bit of how crazy Japan can be, with a song from a group called AKB48. 

This is a group of i-have-know-idea-how-many-but-definitely-too-many girls who is extremely popular in Japan. So much that they even have their very own cafe in the heart of Akihabara neighborhood in Tokyo, with a shop filled with souvenirs (some of them quite disturbing) and a coffee/bar where grown adult men go seat to watch in full screen videoclips from AKB48 songs.

They have many songs, I'll share the one that it was passing all the time in the stores/shopping areas when i went there about two years ago. Not my style of music, but I can say that on the flight back me and my girlfriend had this song stuck in the head after hearing so many times

Also there is an event where people vote on their favorite girl from the band (with codes they get by buying their stuff haha) and then the most voted girls get picked up for the main videoclips.

I learned all this because we were in japan during the time where they were doing the show/ceremony of revealing the fans votes on the TV and we got so perplexed with it that we went to wikipedia to try to understand what the hell was going on :lol:

And the handshake event, don't forget about that :p

My college created a parody dance from their song as the theme for the freshman program on my first day :lol:

Also, their international sister group: JKT, BNK, MNL, SGO, TPE, SNH

Next traditional sport is Yabusame. Yabusame uses the Japanese art of archery and does it on horseback. Being able to shoot a bow and arrow on horseback was done in samurai battles, and was a highly esteemed skill to have. During the time of samurai battles, samurais would aim to hit their target while going full speed on their horse. In modern times. the aim of yabusame as a sport and martial art is usually to be able hit targets while moving. Demonstrations are held in shrines and temples, and sometimes during festivals.