website statistics

Post Games Analysis | How did your country perform at Paris Olympics 2024?

10. It was literally the best performance ever in history of Olympic Games for Portugal. Besides having equalized the maximum amount of medals in a single games (4) as done in Tokyo, this time they managed to do it but with one gold, TWO silvers and one bronze.

unbelieable edition for teamPT :POR

2. What were the suprises and heartbreaks ?

heartbreak was Pimenta in sprint canoeing, very sad for him as he missed a lot of his child events to train for this and ended up 6th.

also pichardo, I was not expecting gold but after his first jump I thought that was it. 

3.Was your country's goal achieved? 

yes, the official goal were 4 medals, no matter the color.

4. Which are the sports that will be invested more in future? 

Hard to tell, Portugal still lives around football. Hopefully track cycling, after what happened this week. Also triathlon team did a great job.

5. Who could be some the potential star for your country in LA?

hard to tell. The big ones will soon retire, so not sure who can be there in 2028.

one last sad thing: today, on the day of the closing ceremony of the best Olympic Games ever for Portugal, the president of our national committee died.

he was president since 2013 and completely revolutionized professional sports in Portugal, and was one of the main responsible for the facility improvements and the increase in financial aid that helped the record medals of 2020 and 2024. All Olympic athletes loved him, so it was quite a sad news for them today as well.

1. 7.5/10. It's good we win 2 golds, but the badminton team is underwhelming except Gregoria Mariska who won bronze.

2. Rizki Juniansyah is surely the biggest surprise. Medal is expected, but I would never think about gold. When the snatch finished, I'm still convinced Shi Zhiyong will lift one clean and jerk to end the competition, but well I don't expect that twist of fate. He also did not succumb to the pressure from expectations.

Diananda Choirunisa in archery is the biggest heartbreak. That 5 against Barbelin which ended with shoot-off defeat is so traumatizing, I hope she come back stronger. Maybe she won't be able to medal even if she advanced, but advancing to semifinal among the Koreans would elevate the prestige of the sport here. Also the 0.006 seconds (yes this is not a typo) defeat in women's speed climbing is still painful to this day.

Given the current situation of the badminton team, I did not have high expectations so can't be really said as a heartbreak. But it's a bit sad to see some of our players looking confused during play in (arguably) the biggest stage of their career. Those who played against the French also unable to handle pressure from the singing crowd, trembling like French royals when they are faced with angry peasants in a revolution

3. Near miss, I think? The NOC president promised they will deliver the best ever medal haul, but we got the same number of gold like 1992 (most gold ever won in single edition by this country).

4. If weightlifting, a sport which has contributed medals since 2000, still trains with old weights and an uninspiring place like the current center then what do you expect? I get it with our huge population, sport won't be receiving more funding since there are a lot of things to prioritize. At least those who medaled at Asian Games can receive support to qualify for LA 2028. It's stupid when we have 2022 Asian Games medalists in BMX racing (gold) and skateboarding (silver) but they did not receive funding to even try to qualify for Paris.

5. I hope in 2028 Rizki Juniansyah and Rahmat Erwin Abdullah can both qualify. Rio Waida hopefully can gain more experience to finally win a medal. We have some potential swimmers but their specialties are 50 m fly/50 m breast, so hopefully they can somehow improve in 100 m in those respective strokes. I think badminton will still continue in decline... so I hope they prove me wrong on that

9/10. After a difficult first 5 days without a medal, we more than made up for that in the 11 days that followed. We were super efficient in winning golds and got 30 medals for the second time ever after Tokyo. 15 gold medals is a big improvement after our 12 gold record from Sydney. More than our achieved our top 10 medal table goal as well.

Nearly all my most desired gold medals came true: Sifan Hassan, 3x Harrie Lavreysen, Marit Bouwmeester and Sharon van Rouwendaal. In a best case scenario I would only add Mathieu van der Poel and Femke Bol individually, but at least she won relay gold and a total 3 medals.

Surprises: many actually! Biggest of all was 3x3 basketball winning gold with a buzzer beater shot. Second to me is probably the mixed 4x400m relay beating the USA (even without their superstars this surprised me). Also many bronzes were surprising: kitesurfing, womens madison, artistic swimming.

Heartbreaks: Puck Pieterse getting a flat tire in silver position. Femke Bol having the worst race of her career in the race that mattered most to her. The entire judo team failing miserably.

For LA28 I fear Dutch sport will have to deal with budget cuts. Our national goverment has announced additional taxes for our national lottery (not a bad thing, gambling is getting out of hand) and our Olympic sports are heavily reliant on the lottery for funding.

Some of our upcoming stars for LA are definitely Puck Pieterse and Niels Laros. Even without extra budget they will be big medal contenders probably.

1. Rate the performance on a scale of 1-10

9/10 !

There were many disappointments, but our record of gold medals and medals was beaten. Above all, French athletes have made an entire country proud and thrilled millions of people !

The biggest surprise was the level of the men's judo team. We mainly expected the girls to be a powerhouse and nothing from the men, and yet they got 4 medals !

Apart from that, men team archery winning silver and Cassandre Beaugrand winning gold in triathlon.

For the heartbreaks, there were many unfortunatly. :cry: But the biggest was the distress by the women team in gymnastics after their dreadful routine. No individual finalist in any discipline...

No girl winning gold in judo (I feel the most for Dicko, she failed for the second time despite being the big favourite), and the teams in Fencing underperforming (I still don't believe our women sabre team won nothing). Aït-Saïd being FOURTH AGAIN for two Olympics in a row in rings. All the 4th places in Athletics when we had finally a "good" team.

Partially. The big goal was a top5 in the medal ranking, which was achieved. But we excepted also 20 gold medals...

I don't know.All of them I hope. But the reality is that after Paris 2024, there will be budget cut in sport in general.

Marchand, again. :cool:

Mary-Ambre Molluh will follow Marchand's steps with going in USA next year. She's a big young talent. Maybe she will be our new Marchand on the girls side ?

Edited by Styrka

7/10

Many medals but not so much gold, we could expect more as a host nation.

2. What were the surprises and heartbreaks ?

Surprises:

• Joan-Benjamin Gaba being silver medalist in Judo -73kg. In mixed team final, when France was losing 3-1 against Japan he won against Hifumi Abe allowing France to ultimately win the gold medal.
  • Basket 3x3 men very close to win the gold medal
  • Teams playing well starting from the quarter finals while being deceptive in the stage groups : basket men, basket women, basket 3x3 men, volley men, and even handball men (even if they lose in quarter final after a stupid error).

Heartbreaks:

• Triathlon relay, one of best chances of gold medal. Pierre Le Corre is dragged into the fall of Hayden Wilde and lost all chances of medal after a mechanic problem.
  • Women gymnastic that was unable to make a single final while they were third at last world championship.
  • No final for women judo (Dicko, Agbegnenou, Malonga...).
  • No medal in fencing for men’s epee team and women’s sabre team.
  • Basket 3x3 women finishing last while they were among the favorites.

The Top 5 was expected, but it was very tight.

If we want to have athletes in LA we need to invest in sports that almost doesn’t exist in France : Baseball/softball, flag football, cricket and Lacrosse

Léon Marchand of course.

Félix Lebrun in Table Tennis.

Teddy Riner will perhaps still be there.

Australia 

9/10

Great games frustrating end with getting 4 golds in one day then 6 straight silvers to finish games. Highlights Cam Mcevoy 50m freestyle gold after choking in Rio he developed a new method of training which relied less on swimming in pool more in the gym, won first medal in his 4th Olympics

Keegan Palmer at just 21 successfully defended his Olympic title. 

Saya Sakakibara BMX racing being knocked unconscious in Tokyo  then see her brother who got her into sport suffer sever head injury, she really questioned competing and decided to ride in his honour and win gold. 

Noemie Fox stepping from her sister shadow (Jessica who won two gold in Paris) and winning gold for herself in kayak cross. 

- Jessica Hull winning first track medal in 12 years

-Nina Kennedy winning first gold medal in field event women (pole vault) 

Biggest Surprise  

-Lauren Jackson winning medals 24 years apart. 

-Grace Brown dominating women's time trial. 

-Kaylee Mckeown defending 100/200m backstroke golds and becoming women's backstroke GOAT. 

-winning record 18 gold medals 

- sweeping Park skateboarding men's women's with Arisa Trew youngest gold medallist (14 years) 

-Fox sisters sweeping women canoe slalom events 

-winning gold in men's tennis doubles

-breaking WR in men's team pursuit track cycling 

-women's water polo winning silver 

Biggest Disappointments

-Women's soccer have gotten plenty of hype as of late and didn't make group stage 

-Women's rugby 7's playing wonderful last tournament being up 14-0 in semi final to not medalling all. 

-Breaking Olympic record in semi of K4 500m and just loose in final to Germany. 

-surrendered huge lead to Serbia in basketball. 

-Raygun she tried her best but wasn't near Olympic standard. 

Was our country goal achieved? 

Top 4 finish and record gold i guess so. 

Future 

I guess most sports will get more funding with Olympics at home in 8 years. Like to see more investment in combat sports. 

Potential star 

Have some promising swimmers who impressed junior level too many to name . Mia Kretzer won x games gold 9 year old our skating looks great. Grae Morris future sailing star. Mollie O Callaghan will be in prime by LA. Jessica Hull progression has been amazing. 

Edited by Timezone

14 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

I should be a 7, but fuck it let's go for 8. The massive plus side is the medals record (64), almost twice more than in Tokyo, more that what I was expecting/hoping for (55-60). Almost every one who was strongly expected to medal did it. We had plenty of 4th and 5th also, but most of them were podiums outsiders who simply did their best but were beaten by a better athlete/team.

The number of golds (16) is slightly on the down side. Personally, I was expecting between 15-20 gold medals, and many were around the 20 mark (the 29 one from Gracenote was lunatic though). If only a few of our almost golds (see later) had translated into real ones, it would had been a 9 or even 10 Olympics for us.

2. What were the suprises

I think we are used to more bigger surprises that we had here. Every gold medalists were favorites or strong outsiders I 'd say. Nothing like Romain Cannone (fencing) for instance coming from absolutely nowhere to olympic champion in Tokyo. But, personally, I wouldn't have bet a penny on the volleyball's team winning a second gold medal :p

Medals-wise, the biggest surprise must be Joan-Benjamin Gaba in Judo who had zero success on the international stage before the Olympics. And he was not a one-day-wonder either, I don't forget his amazing fight against Abe in the team event (possibly my highest point of the Olympics with the clean sweep in BMX)

and heartbreaks ?

As I've said earlier. Not many individuals who were expected to medal failed to do so. Leaving aside fencing (anything and everything can happen there), the bigger names must be Boris Neveu (kayak joke event) and Aurélien Giraud (skateboarding). We had also a few teams which failed : a coupe in fencing (but again, fencing...), the women's rugby team and most notably the women's 3x3 basketball team which simply crashed and burned while they were favorite for gold.

Also, the mixed triathlon team out on a race incident during the first relay. My saddest moment of the Olympics.

Then, we have to talk about the crushing defeats for golds. That was the only real downside of these olympics for the french team, but it hurts a lot. On top of the Triathlon team, we had two sudden death losses in fencing finals, the defeat in OT of the 3x3 basketball team, the remontada-for-nothing in football, Titouan Castryck (Canoeing) and Lauriane Nolot (Sailing) throwing away almost safe golds, Julien Épaillard dropping a bar where no one else did, etc. Up to the last day, with this amazing performance by the women's basketball team only ending up one point short of Team USA.

But, I said fuck it, so fuck it :p 

Yes ! The goal was to finished among the Top 5 for the first time since Atlanta. It was very tense up to the last day, but we did it !

It doesn't really work like in the UK here. Each federations funding won't change much. But some drastic changes will be expected by some of them (gymnastics and rowing particularly)

Hard to say. A few names that could shine by 2028 : Line Burquier (MTB), Rafael Fente Damers (Swimming) or Louise Maraval (Athletics)

15 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

1- Absolutely Terrible 

2 - Bad

9- Kinda Awesome 

10- Fantastic, Unbelievable 

Current / Upcoming sports

1. overall, 5

more specifically, there have been some (few) very positive surprises, many average performance and way too many flops

despite that, the final score is even better in terms of gold medals than than the record-breaking Tokyo Olympics

so, it's not enough given the expectations, but it's not even that tragedy that was taking shape before the last 3/4 days

2. surprises: among the gold medal winners, Alice D'Amato (women's gymnastics, balance beam), Chiara Consonni & Vittoria Guazzini (track cycling, women's Madison) and Marta Maggetti (sailing, women's iQFOiL)

among the others, Nadia Battocletti's silver over 10k (athletics) and even the 4th place over 5k was likely the most pleasant of them all

heartbreakers: well, here I could go with a very long list...but the shorter version is: men's Volleyball and Waterpolo teams, all Foil's missed golds in Fencing, Manuel Lombardo in Judo, Dell'Aquila's injury in Taekwondo and in some extent, Frank Chamizo not pulling out a miracle in his last big competition in Wrestling after all the chaos in the qualifying tournaments

3. NO, not in my perspective, at least

4. sports funding here is mainly a political and burocratic thing...it won't change anything

5. too early to say

we've had so many great results in the junior events in these years...but we always have a lot of troubles in converting that youth ranks success in the senior ranks, so, who knows?

Edited by phelps

Vektor said a lot of things I agree with, but some more points

Final score: 7/10 - surprisingly good after the massive, sustained bad luck we hade here. With more luck this could have been the most successful OG for :HUN for a long time.

Big surprises:

Taekwondo gold - I expected that Salim Omar might do something big, but in the end it came from someone else

Pentathlon gold - for me it was a surprise, I believed we can have a bronze if lucky

Big disappointments:

Where should I begin LOL

- Fencing individual all around bad luck

- Judo/Wrestling

- Mens pentathlon

- No gold medal for canoe/kayak for the first time in decades

Heartbreak:

- Mens kayak 1 1000 m missing gold medal

- Infuriatingly big number of 4th places where we were literally a step from the bronze

1. Cycling road women - centimeters from the medal

2. Nandor Nemeth swimming - 0.01s

3. Mens C-2 500 (If I remember correctly) - photofinish sh!tshow, 6th which could have been easily 3rd

4. Wrestilng Musukaev bronze match - questionable judging decicion at the end which cost the 3rd place

5. etc.

Countrys goals: dont know what they were officially but I guess by matching Tokyo more or less it was not that bad

Future preparations:

I dont know what will be done, but IMO what SHOULD be done:

- Review what went wrong in judo/wrestling

- Review what is missing in waterpolo to step up again

- Hopefully taekwondo will get more attention