website statistics

Things You Would Change in Sports?

Title speaks for itself :d We were talking about this with a friend and i thought it would be a nice topic here as well.

With the variety of users from around the world, it could lead to some interesting takes. It could be anything related to sports. 

I will open with some of my preferences :p

- Making Summer Olympics 3 full weeks;

- Return of the open final set at tennis Grand Slams;

- Vuelta a Espana to be held permanently in September (8-10th to the end of the month). Respectively, the UCI World Championships to be moved to late August.

- Basketball, hockey and baseball in the USA to have fewer (dead) regular season games. You can trim 1/4 of the current schedules. With 30 teams in the leagues, you could play 60-62 matches in basket & hockey and 120 games in baseball;

- No Ice Hockey should be played in June. (in the Northern Hemisphere); 

- Athletics to try and make a rankings system like tennis. It has become extremely hard for regular people to tell, who are the best athletes in athletics. Recognizable faces and true stars have faded big time from 10-20-30 years ago. 

Reform the European Games into an event like the Asian or Panamerican games. Encourage the best athletes to attend with proper TV broadcasting.

Scrap the club world cup and revert the champions league to original format.

Less events in F1 or at least plan them so the travel schedule is not ridiculous.

Revert the changes to modern pentathlon, and reintroduce lightweight classes into rowing.

Remove umpires call in cricket.

Banish breaking to the shadow realm.

Posted (edited)

I’d love to see the Olympic champion in every event automatically get an invite to come back to the next Games to defend their title if they wish. Also would be cool if Olympic champions got to wear a different vest which they can wear throughout the cycle.

Making the Olympics a 3 week event would also be great :thumbup:

Edited by OlympicIRL

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, TeamGB said:

Reform the European Games into an event like the Asian or Panamerican games. Encourage the best athletes to attend with proper TV broadcasting.

Scrap the club world cup and revert the champions league to original format.

Less events in F1 or at least plan them so the travel schedule is not ridiculous.

Revert the changes to modern pentathlon, and reintroduce lightweight classes into rowing.

Remove umpires call in cricket.

Banish breaking to the shadow realm.

yeah,i can't with this new pentathlon format,it's dumb.Also the riding drama was a nothing burger,nothing happened to that horse.Animal activists are morons was the only thing i got from that whole episode.

Edited by Biathlonfan

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

I’d love to see the Olympic champion in every event automatically get an invite to come back to the next Games to defend their title if they wish. Also would be cool if Olympic champions got to wear a different vest which they can wear throughout the cycle.

Making the Olympics a 3 week event would also be great :thumbup:

I co-sign :d

For me, I’d say a fair judging system in sports like boxing. 

Edit: @De_Gambassi added some things that I’d like to put on my list as well. A whole bunch of additional Olympic quotas, and a maximum of at least two athletes in every single individual event. 

Edited by Josh

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, TeamGB said:

Scrap semifinals in swimming, at least for the 200s

Guess we have different opinions on this one. I for one, love semifinals, as it means more swimming to watch :d

Although, for someone like McIntosh that would probably be more beneficial.

1 hour ago, Federer91 said:

- Basketball, hockey and baseball in the USA to have fewer (dead) regular season games. You can trim 1/4 of the current schedules. With 30 teams in the leagues, you could play 60-62 matches in basket & hockey and 120 games in baseball;

- No Ice Hockey should be played in June. (in the Northern Hemisphere); 

I’d keep the 82 games of NHL hockey (mainly) and NBA basketball throughout the season, thank you very much :p

Do agree that the NHL playoffs should be finished before June however. 

Edited by Josh