website statistics

Sailing WS Semaine Olympique Française 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

6 minutes ago, Pasolini said:

https://sof.regatta.ffvoile.fr/en/default/races/race-resultsall on this table every contender for ENP is clearly signed.

There are no ENP quotas on 49er and 49er FX... 

Well, I don't know. Just saying what Czech federation said and they also mentioned that it has been confirmed. Of course I am happy if it's true but also surprised 

Finally we got quotas in sailing! :GRE:clap:

We were in danger of missing out for the first time since 1936, after we had 8 sailors in Tokyo. Now we have 2 confirmed here, and should get another 2 in the 470 mixed.

I'm happy for Maramenidis to make his Olympic debut. I'm glad we got the quota in iQFoil and Kokkalanis will go to the Olympics for the 4th time, though I am sad for Tsortanidis who I wanted to see take the quota, he is from a small island and it would've been nice to see him go to the Olympics from there, also Kokkalanis is old and had his chances for a medal in the past and didn't take them.

Of course Tsortanidis also finished this regatta in a qualifying position but there's only one quota per nation. It's too bad that he has to miss out when there are other boat classes where we did not qualify anyone.

And the 470 quota with Spanaki/Spanaki looks 99% confirmed. I'm happy for Spanaki, she proved her critics (aka me :p) wrong after accusing her of stealing the Tokyo quota from a more deserving team (she came out of nowhere and got a 2004 Olympic gold medalist out of retirement and together they won our internal regatta over Bozi/Klonaridou who were our only competitive 470 duo from Rio 2016 until a few months before Tokyo).

Also it's a shame Papadakos is 5th in the ILCA 7 and will miss Paris, after our sailing federation messed up and prevented him from getting the quota a few months ago. He is young so hopefully he can make it to LA and/or Brisbane instead.

Edited by Makedonas

So it looks like our sailing team will go down from 8 members in Tokyo to 4 in Paris. It seems bad, but actually is not so bad when you look at it.

470 became mixed, so instead of 4 sailors we only had the chance to qualify 2, which we did (so -2 overall)

RS:X became iQFoil and we still got the men's quota but not women's, after the change of categories (-3 overall)

Karachaliou in ILCA 6 had a lot of drama with our sailing federation and got the quota for Portugal but won't be going to Paris regardless it seems (-4 overall)

The finn is no longer an Olympic category which caused Mitakis to retire after three consecutive Olympic qualifications (-5 overall)

Maramenidis got the quota in men's kite, which is +1 for us (-4 overall)

Our sailing federation is lucky they can use the above as excuses for the small amount of quotas even if it still is a low point for Greek sailing. Also I sort of thought the Mixed Nacra team would have a good chance (I think they missed out by 1 spot for Tokyo but don't quote me on that, it was definitely close), especially with Papadopoulou being a bit older/more experienced now, but they still missed out by a few spots.

The biggest missed opportunities though were definitely ILCA 6 (Karachaliou leaving us), and ILCA 7 (multiple good young prospects who came close but no one took a quota).

Also if you include Tsortanidis instead of Kokkalanis, we have all 4 of our quota athletes being in their early 20s, so I'm optimistic that Greek sailing can rise again.

6 hours ago, Pasolini said:

Apparently Austria and Switzerland got quotas on women's (don't ask me why) and Finland and Slovakia got on men
https://www.sailing.org/2024/04/25/czech-1-2-seals-nations-olympic-spot-in-windsurfing/

where the hell is Slokavia and why they use our flag ?

:p

43 minutes ago, Dnl said:

Slovakia got quota in Windsurfing? That’s a weird way to spell Canoe Slalom :p

Right. Imagine all the casual fans in Slovakia suddenly learning there a sport called Sailing in the Olympics ... a shock ! I say you a shock... I mean, what next fencing ? :p

1 hour ago, hckošice said:

Right. Imagine all the casual fans in Slovakia suddenly learning there a sport called Sailing in the Olympics ... a shock ! I say you a shock... I mean, what next fencing ? :p

Well, Arpad Fazekas is fencing today. You never know 😜 Would be great to have a Slovakian fencer at the Games. Honestly, I think there might be a pretty good chance for Lukas Johanides on men's Epee. 

19 hours ago, copravolley said:

Little chance for Italy. They must be 4 positions higher than Hong Kong in a situation where the entire top team will no longer fight for anything. The Italian crews failed at the most important start of the season. Most of the season they swam at the level of Germany but here they definitely lowered their level. This means they will watch the games at home.

They made it. Place 5 in the medal race and Hong Kong only in 9th position. 
Congrats! :yes