website statistics

Athletics WA World Relays 2024

Totallympics

29 minutes ago, dodge said:

When the timetable was originally released, they names the first round as heats. Now they’re listed as “Olympic qualification round one” with the second day split into “Olympic qualification round two” and “finals”

it was heats and repechage originally, I think. Clearly repechage was too big a word for World Athletics to deal with, hence the change. :d

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, dodge said:

When the timetable was originally released, they names the first round as heats. Now they’re listed as “Olympic qualification round one” with the second day split into “Olympic qualification round two” and “finals”

semantics

day #1 is still about being among the top 2 in any of the 4 "heats" to make the final and directly qualify to the Games (or being 3rd or 4th to make the B Final, AKA Olympic qualifier, round #2)

day #2 is about winning the medals and the prize money for the top 8 teams of day1 and being among the top 6 of the B Final to earn the Olympic spot for those who were 3rd or 4th in the heats of the first day

they can change the name of the rounds as they want, but the target (and the format) is always the same

Edited by phelps

Posted (edited)

I’m not sure anyone suggested any different. I just it was interesting that they changed the names. I wasn’t suggesting it was a big deal

Your understanding of the repechage round is wrong though. There’s no B final. There’s 3 “heats” with those who didn’t reach the final. Top 2 in each of those qualify for the Olympics. No top 6, no timed element. Top 2 in either round one or round two goes to the Olympics 

Edited by dodge

1 hour ago, phelps said:

semantics

day #1 is still about being among the top 2 in any of the 4 "heats" to make the final and directly qualify to the Games (or being 3rd or 4th to make the B Final, AKA Olympic qualifier, round #2)

day #2 is about winning the medals and the prize money for the top 8 teams of day1 and being among the top 6 of the B Final to earn the Olympic spot for those who were 3rd or 4th in the heats of the first day

they can change the name of the rounds as they want, but the target (and the format) is always the same

But I am adraid, there is no B final. All the teams outside of Top-2 at the day#1 will compete at the day #2.

These teams will compose 3 heats for the day #2. Top-2 teams from each hear will get Olympic quotas.

https://assets.aws.worldathletics.org/document/663212e41464bd8e9bda3d62.pdf

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, avlar said:

But I am adraid, there is no B final. All the teams outside of Top-2 at the day#1 will compete at the day #2.

These teams will compose 3 heats for the day #2. Top-2 teams from each hear will get Olympic quotas.

https://assets.aws.worldathletics.org/document/663212e41464bd8e9bda3d62.pdf

This whole thing is just so weird. Teams that can field an excellent men's or women's 4x400m and an excellent mixed 4x400m, but don't have the depth for extra runners, are just fucked by a gazillion 4x400m races being pushed into a few hours on two days.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

This whole thing is just so weird. Teams that can field an excellent men's or women's 4x400m and an excellent mixed 4x400m, but don't have the depth for extra runners, are just fucked by a gazillion 4x400m races being pushed into a few hours on two days.

My country is one of those. We’re top 12 in each of mixed and women’s and may not qualify in either. We will almost certainly have to choose to forego one though 

36 minutes ago, dodge said:

My country is one of those. We’re top 12 in each of mixed and women’s and may not qualify in either. We will almost certainly have to choose to forego one though 

Couldn't they essentially focus on one relay each day, since there isn't really any elimination between qualification opportunities? Of course, you need to be very strong in one of them to make that strategy work.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

8 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Couldn't they essentially focus on one relay each day, since there isn't really any elimination between qualification opportunities? Of course, you need to be very strong in one of them to make that strategy work.

It will depend on the draws. They’ll have 2 teams ranked ahead of them in both heats so will have to over perform in one. If they qualify either on day one, I’d be confident the other would qualify on day two

But the point remains, they’re likely going to have to sacrifice one of them if they don’t finish in the top 2 in the opening round. We won’t be the only country like this either 

7 hours ago, dodge said:

It will depend on the draws. They’ll have 2 teams ranked ahead of them in both heats so will have to over perform in one. If they qualify either on day one, I’d be confident the other would qualify on day two

But the point remains, they’re likely going to have to sacrifice one of them if they don’t finish in the top 2 in the opening round. We won’t be the only country like this either 

Just throwing something wild out there, but this could be solved by....you know....eliminating the mixed relay.

*commence running away from World Athletics

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!