website statistics

Rowing WR World Cup 2024

Totallympics

10 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

That men's 8 was impressive, very solid opening world cup for British team as a whole i thought, probably men's double sculls is still a way off and i was hoping Thomas would go for the single scull quota spot but if it improves the four then so be it 

We may still have Thomas racing for the quota at the LCR and have Bourne race it at the games, who I thought looked really good today. But regardless who it is, it's pretty safe to say we'll get the quota along with Italy. 

9 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

We may still have Thomas racing for the quota at the LCR and have Bourne race it at the games, who I thought looked really good today. But regardless who it is, it's pretty safe to say we'll get the quota along with Italy. 

I must admit this is another positive takeaway from today, that quota looks likely to be gained.

2 minutes ago, RussB said:

I must admit this is another positive takeaway from today, that quota looks likely to be gained.

I think we can also add the men's double sculls to that list too as we stormed the B final but where still a fair bit behind unqualified Australia who were last in the A final and should qualify along with us. As for the other 3 events, we won't qualify anyone in the men's lightweight but I'm still optimistic for us in the women's singles and doubles sculls despite not entering anyone here. The Europeans in two weeks will give us the biggest guide as to what shape the team is in. 

the only squad that was a little disappointing was the women's quad, but the comms were mentioning they have had an interrupted winter with niggles and illness so best to see how they progress over next couple of regattas.

Obviously lightweight categories are completely retarded. 
1) Height is an advantage in many sports. Should we also have lightweight basketball?

2) „Smaller nations“ have advantages in other sports (gymnastics, table tennis, diving, figure skating), should we also introduce heavyweight categories there?

3) There are way too many events in rowing anyways. If IOC wants to reduce the number of participants, they should have 3 events at most per gender. Rowing is very unpopular and barely anyone cares to watch, so it make the most sense to save costs by reducing the number of athletes in super fringe sports.

In general: More nations are able to win medals -> Bigger viewership

=> How do you (as federation/IOC) make the sport more accessible and how do you make the races less predictable?

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Netherlands was the best country at last year's world championships.

From what I've seen today, I predict GB will win the most gold medals in this year's Olympics. Some of the Dutch boats didn't convince at all (especially the women's four and women's quadruple). For the men's double sculls and men's quadruple there was a win, but not as convincing as last year (very small margins). Karolien Florijn on the other hand showed a very good shape!

Europeans in two weeks, I'm looking forward to it.

28 minutes ago, CCB said:

From what I've seen today, I predict GB will win the most gold medals in this year's Olympics. Some of the Dutch boats didn't convince at all (especially the women's four and women's quadruple). For the men's double sculls and men's quadruple there was a win, but not as convincing as last year (very small margins). Karolien Florijn on the other hand showed a very good shape!

GBR in the sweep events look very strong from pairs up to the 8. Women's pair might be the only boat without genuine gold medal hopes for Paris. NED dominance in the sculling events might be slightly diminished compared to last year as you point out. Europeans will be another good barometer!

29 minutes ago, CCB said:

Are Netherlands competing in the Europeans? I heard the commentator on the world rowing feed say they were taking a week break now and skipping Europeans.

48 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

2) „Smaller nations“ have advantages in other sports (gymnastics, table tennis, diving, figure skating), should we also introduce heavyweight categories there?

Heavyweight gymnastics is a hilarious idea, thanks for the laugh:lol: And I agree with the reasoning as well.