website statistics

2024 Canadian Olympic Swim Trials Road to Paris 2024

4 minutes ago, NearPup said:

@JoshMartini007 really small nitpick: the winners of the 100m freestyle aren't included under priority 3 (since they are automatically counted under priority 2)

The wording of the document is a bit awkward since they mention freestyle swimmers in priority 3, but as you mentioned they will be automatically qualified through priority 2. I think it was written that way just in case we qualified the medley relay, but not the freestyle relay.

I decided to keep the medley selections together rather than split them up. Of course, relay selections are provisional, the director could select anyone on the team to compete. They just need to make sure that our relay-only athletes compete in at least one race.

Posted (edited)

Canada will have at most ten relay-only athletes accross categories 2 and 3, which means their qualifications are now all guaranteed.

The Canadian coaching staff will probably be able to name up to three relay alternates if they wish to (since Knox is almost certain go qualify individually). If I were the coaches I would want to bring Édouard Fullum-Huot (men's 4x100m free) with Rebecca Smith (women's 4x100m free) on the bubble for consideration, but I'm not really seeing a good case for anybody else, especially since 5th and 6th in the women's 200m free are already on the team.

Edited by NearPup

6 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Swim team in theory is now bigger than 2021 (Including Emma Finlin)

Nice.

Unfortunately, our team won't grow much over the next two days. Maybe one or two new swimmers. However, some of our relay-only athletes may get individual events.

Just thought I’d make this to show the most notable names that haven’t made the Olympic team yet (or won’t at all)

Some are names that I thought had a chance. 

Katerine Savard

Rebecca Smith

Antoine Sauve

Shona Branton
Alexanne LePage

Hugh McNeill

Laon Kim
Aiden Norman

Raben Dommann

Sarah Fournier

Bailey Andison

Tessa Cieplucha

Katie Forrester

Mabel Zavaros

Kathryn Cannings

Collyn Gagne

Stephen Calkins

Ashley McMillan

5 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Canada will have at most ten relay-only athletes accross categories 2 and 3, which means their qualifications are now all guaranteed.

The Canadian coaching staff will probably be able to name up to three relay alternates if they wish to (since Knox is almost certain go qualify individually). If I were the coaches I would want to bring Édouard Fullum-Huot (men's 4x100m free) with Rebecca Smith (women's 4x100m free) on the bubble for consideration, but I'm not really seeing a good case for anybody else.

I'm not seeing much options. The men's 4x200m is going to get eliminated in the heats so no need to enhance them and the women's 4x200m already has the top six qualified. The men's 4x100m has Hussey and Kharun as options so they may not need Fullum-Huot.

Smith and/or Sienna Angove in the women's 4x100m will likely be picked. They can also be an extra backup option for the 4x200m.

On the medley side we are pretty well covered except for the men's breaststroke leg, but I don't think we are going to replace Knox in the heats. I'd love for them to select Alexanne Lepage (she technically wouldn't even be a relay-only athlete as she can slot right into the 100m breaststroke), but with Wog and Pickrem they will probably keep it as is.

1 minute ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I'm not seeing much options. The men's 4x200m is going to get eliminated in the heats so no need to enhance them and the women's 4x200m already has the top six qualified. The men's 4x100m has Hussey and Kharun as options so they may not need Fullum-Huot.

Smith and/or Sienna Angove in the women's 4x100m will likely be picked. They can also be an extra backup option for the 4x200m.

On the medley side we are pretty well covered except for the men's breaststroke leg, but I don't think we are going to replace Knox in the heats. I'd love for them to select Alexanne Lepage (she technically wouldn't even be a relay-only athlete as she can slot right into the 100m breaststroke), but with Wog and Pickrem they will probably keep it as is.

Smith seems more likely. We likely won’t use MacNeil for prelims, and with Mary-Sophie Harvey swimming a somewhat big schedule, I’d rather save her for her other events. Smith would be more than good enough to advance to the final. 

FYI, they can select discretionary picks, and LePage (and Branton) have the OQT in the women’s 100m breaststroke, although I don’t think they’ll select either of them. Hope I’m wrong though, would love to see our team size increase. 

11 minutes ago, Josh said:

Smith seems more likely. We likely won’t use MacNeil for prelims, and with Mary-Sophie Harvey swimming a somewhat big schedule, I’d rather save her for her other events. Smith would be more than good enough to advance to the final. 

FYI, they can select discretionary picks, and LePage (and Branton) have the OQT in the women’s 100m breaststroke, although I don’t think they’ll select either of them. Hope I’m wrong though, would love to see our team size increase. 

Smith can also be used for the mixed relay or in the heats in the medley relay so I think she would be a beneficial pick overall.

There's some talk in the SwimSwam comments about Penny missing the standard and whether there will be spots for OCT - I'm not sure if anyone knows more about here? Like she just marginally missed the standard by .05 seconds, do you think she'll likely be able to swim it individually?

14 minutes ago, james89 said:

There's some talk in the SwimSwam comments about Penny missing the standard and whether there will be spots for OCT - I'm not sure if anyone knows more about here? Like she just marginally missed the standard by .05 seconds, do you think she'll likely be able to swim it individually?

I sure hope so. She has the b cut and will be going to Paris anyways since she'll be part of the relays so it won't affect the quota limit.

Otherwise you're going to have a field with something like 12 OQT swimmers given how insane the OQT is + a bunch of universality swimmers. And that just would not be a good look at all.