website statistics

Taekwondo ETU European Olympic Qualifier 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

2 hours ago, Makedonas said:

All four of our athletes were 2nd or 3rd seeded, and none of them managed to even make the semifinals :facepalm:

I know taekwondo often has surprises but still it's very disappointing that we will have no one in Tokyo. We have 5 athletes ranked in the top 20 in the Olympic rankings, so the fact that none of them were able to qualify is definitely a failure in my opinion.

I was definitely hoping we could qualify 1 or 2...

So many global top-20 athletes not even qualifying is honestly more of a failure of the Olympic taekwondo format than a failure of, in this case, the Greeks...

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Yes WT has to do something urgently 

When it comes to the Greek. To be frank this is not a surprise. Despite the seeding and top 20 ranking I didn’t have them on my list as potential qualifiers as there is only two quotas and ranking is not always the best indicator. 

the only real surprise is Divkovic from Slovenia and to some extent Matonti and Stolbova.

and that Husic went out that early. 

Edited by prso1000

2 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Qualifying in taekwondo is brutal, especially for Europe and Asia. You have people in non-Olympic weights moving around (more common in taekwondo) and the sport loves upsets so we are bound to see many great athletes staying home. Especially in a 16-person field.

Assuming WT sticks to the rule of minimum 4 representatives in each category at continental qualifier there will reallocation in every category due to limited participation in Oceania

Edited by Fly_like_a_don

30 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Assuming WT sticks to the rule of minimum 4 representatives in each category at continental qualifier there will reallocation in every category due to limited participation in Oceania

I don’t think they can change that. 
although is really unfair towards Australia as they might end up without having a chance to qualify. 

someone mentioned Judo and I like the idea if they would move to something similar as Judo. Let’s say per gender: 11 via ranking plus host quota (48) plus 14 continental quotas per gender and 2 universality places. 
Continental quotas could be split: 4 Europe and Asia, 3 Africa, 2 Americas and 1 Oceania. 

But all this would imply that they need to introduce a type of world tour and also limit the number of participants per nation per category (already the case for Grand Prix). I think that anyway would be good for the sport instead of huge number of G1/2 tournaments no one cares about anyway. 

I never said we would definitely qualify or that it was a surprise (but that the sport often has surprises), but it's definitely a failure from us that we had several athletes here with decent chances and not one of them was able to get a quota, even for Tokyo we had lower expectations but still managed a quota.

It's also disappointing that Telikostoglou and Sarvanaki for example won medals in World Championships but can't make it to the Olympics, though I know they are not the only ones in this world of course.

54 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

maybe, just maybe we are reading it wrongly. no way WT can do such a thing, that's like demolishing the Oceania qualifier. because I highly doubt we will see more than 3 competitors in any of those 8 events. maybe max 1 or 2

I think only when it comes to "reallocationg the quotas" they won't give it to the next guy if there are less than 4 competitors and that re-allocated quota will go to the World Ranking. 

37 minutes ago, MHSN said:

maybe, just maybe we are reading it wrongly. no way WT can do such a thing, that's like demolishing the Oceania qualifier. because I highly doubt we will see more than 3 competitors in any of those 8 events. maybe max 1 or 2

Weren't there sometimes 4-5 competitors in the year that Tongan oil guy who later bought his way into the Winter Olympics qualified in taekwondo? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, prso1000 said:

I don’t think they can change that. 
although is really unfair towards Australia as they might end up without having a chance to qualify. 

someone mentioned Judo and I like the idea if they would move to something similar as Judo. Let’s say per gender: 11 via ranking plus host quota (48) plus 14 continental quotas per gender and 2 universality places. 
Continental quotas could be split: 4 Europe and Asia, 3 Africa, 2 Americas and 1 Oceania. 

But all this would imply that they need to introduce a type of world tour and also limit the number of participants per nation per category (already the case for Grand Prix). I think that anyway would be good for the sport instead of huge number of G1/2 tournaments no one cares about anyway

maybe they have to review the Olympic Qualification process, but they also have to guarantee all the athletes that can't make it to the Olympics a truly satisfactory activity

looking at the usual starting field, I don't think that nobody cares about the G1/G2 tournaments...actually, most likely they're the reason why Taekwondo has so many participants in all the weight classes at the most important competitions like the World Champs 

without that stuff through the whole year, many Countries that can't aim for a spot among the "greats" going to the Games most likely wouldn't even develop a high level Taekwondo program

should they create a yearly World Tour (like Tennis, for instance), it should have many tournaments in any case and it should be on multiple levels of play and probably it would cost WT (and the organizers) too much

1 hour ago, phelps said:

maybe they have to review the Olympic Qualification process, but they also have to guarantee all the athletes that can't make it to the Olympics a truly satisfactory activity

looking at the usual starting field, I don't think that nobody cares about the G1/G2 tournaments...actually, most likely they're the reason why Taekwondo has so many participants in all the weight classes at the most important competitions like the World Champs 

without that stuff through the whole year, many Countries that can't aim for a spot among the "greats" going to the Games most likely wouldn't even develop a high level Taekwondo program

should they create a yearly World Tour (like Tennis, for instance), it should have many tournaments in any case and it should be on multiple levels of play and probably it would cost WT (and the organizers) too much

World tour as in Judo and not Tennis. 

why you are always so negative about everything. 😂