website statistics

Women's Volleyball FIVB Nations League 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Josh

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Less than 3 points separate the two nations, pretty much win and you're in (unless they choke against :FRA / :KOR )

I’ve watched :FRA play before, they’re not a team to be underestimated. 

15 minutes ago, Josh said:

I’ve watched :FRA play before, they’re not a team to be underestimated. 

That would be incredibly heart breaking. Though if it happens, we can't complain too much after our men's team essentially qualified by getting so lucky.

25 minutes ago, mattadders said:

By my math (which could well be wrong), should :NED win 3-0 against :CAN, they clinch qualification, no matter what happens in the other games.

How did you make those calculations?

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

How did you make those calculations?

Using the formulas on the FIVB website, I’ve got tonight’s game giving about 10 points to a 3-0 winner (and taking 10 away from the loser), then :CAN can get at best around 4 points for a 3-0 win over France, putting us around 284pts. :NED lose at most about 18 points if they somehow lose to South Korea, putting them around 285. My exact numbers have :NED leading us by at least 0.24 after all the games. But my math has been a couple decimal places off for previous results so I may be misunderstanding part of the formula. 

2 minutes ago, mattadders said:

Using the formulas on the FIVB website, I’ve got tonight’s game giving about 10 points to a 3-0 winner (and taking 10 away from the loser), then :CAN can get at best around 4 points for a 3-0 win over France, putting us around 284pts. :NED lose at most about 18 points if they somehow lose to South Korea, putting them around 285. My exact numbers have :NED leading us by at least 0.24 after all the games. But my math has been a couple decimal places off for previous results so I may be misunderstanding part of the formula. 

That’s really impressive that you managed to figure all of this out through calculations!

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

That’s really impressive that you managed to figure all of this out through calculations!

I couldn’t help but make an extensive spreadsheet to attempt to make sense of their convoluted formula. By my math, as we already know, any win tonight then any win in that team’s final game would clinch the berth. (Even though it seems either team would actually lose a couple points even if they win in 5 against :FRA/:KOR). But either team loses a lot of points if they manage to lose their final game because they’re so much higher ranked, so a lot could change.