website statistics

Swimming at the Aquatics WA World Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

In terms of relays, Turkey will be in an even bigger predicament than Serbia and Slovenia because they currently have no women with an OQT. They have two distance swimmers who have had times well under an OQT in the past but neither of them were in great form last year.

18 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Great also for Drakou to not only be apart of that team and secure a quota for her 4th Olympics, but also to make the final in the 50m backstroke. She hadn't made a World Championships final since 2015, so to make two (even if one is a relay) this year is nice to see, especially since this will likely be her last World Championships.

Looking forward to tomorrow to see how our 18 yo talent Siskos does (men's 200 backstroke), after he was 12th last year, this can be a good chance for a final!

Also looking forward to our women's 4x200 freestyle relay. They are really young and I expect a new NR. Two of the girls are 16 and one is 17 (the other is 21), and I'm glad our federation is supporting these girls so much and giving them this chance. I hope this support will continue and that they will continue to improve in the next years. They won't make it to Paris but I think we are really aiming for Los Angeles 2028 with this team (3 of them set our women's NR in this event at the World Junior Championships last year).

Well Drakou got 5th, it seems to be our favourite position in Doha, so maybe 4th is for Canada what 5th is for Greece :p

Siskos was 1st overall in the heats with a new NR, then 6th in the semifinal so the goal of reaching a final has been achieved. A medal seems unlikely but it would be nice for him to at least get a new NR in the final.

Our women's 4 x 200 relay got 17th place with a not so great time, but it was still a new NR (barely). The girls said they expected more but that it was still a good experience for them.

57 minutes ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

In terms of relays, Turkey will be in an even bigger predicament than Serbia and Slovenia because they currently have no women with an OQT. They have two distance swimmers who have had times well under an OQT in the past but neither of them were in great form last year.

They have until the end of the qualification period to get 2 athletes with OQT?

This is a problem we might have with the men's 4 x 200 free and women's 4 x 100 medley, if we qualify in these. We currently have just 1 swimmer in each relay with OQT, though some of them are in other relays but I guess that doesn't count...

Edited by Makedonas

38 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

They have until the end of the qualification period to get 2 athletes with OQT?

This is a problem we might have with the men's 4 x 200 free and women's 4 x 100 medley, if we qualify in these. We currently have just 1 swimmer in each relay with OQT, though some of them are in other relays but I guess that doesn't count...

On the qualification document, it says that if a nation doesn't have enough OQT or OCT athletes to form a relay, World Aquatics MAY allow additional relay athletes.

So who knows