website statistics

Diving at the Aquatics WA World Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Diving is arguably one of the best examples of how to "waste" Olympic quotas, along with creating a unclear qualification system.

It's wild to me that divers qualified in synchro don't have the automatic right to enter individual events. Plus, it wouldn't be the end of the world if nations could qualify composite teams for synchro.

Swimming isn't much better, but at least they made a sensible decision to allow additional entires into the open water events. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Diving is arguably one of the best examples of how to "waste" Olympic quotas, along with creating a unclear qualification system.

It's wild to me that divers qualified in synchro don't have the automatic right to enter individual events. Plus, it wouldn't be the end of the world if nations could qualify composite teams for synchro.

Swimming isn't much better, but at least they made a sensible decision to allow additional entires into the open water events. 

I also think that if 2 athletes qualified on individual they should also have the permission in the syncro...

And in the end, this thing is very messy. it doesn't make too much sense 2 athletes win quotas in syncro and then the same two win in individual and the country have the possibility of taking 4 athletes.... it should be like canoeing. If you win in syncro you can participate in the individual and open up quotas automatically.

13 hours ago, mrv86 said:

On better news, I think Miller should just wait official confirmation, but she got a second spot for Canada in the individual event, with :IRL McGing now being first under the line.

Also :CUB  :DOM  :LAT  &. :USA should get confirmation of spaces for the individual events.

But no real chance of a quota for McGing?

14 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

As things stand, I think there are 26 individual athletes we can confidently say are going to be in the women's 10m platform events in Paris - this is likely to be an event where it is pretty safe to assume that the synchro athletes will also be selected for the individual event where they have qualified. 

image.png

I wouldn't discount Eden Cheng getting in ahead of Tolson in the individual platform.

38 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

I wouldn't discount Eden Cheng getting in ahead of Tolson in the individual platform.

I had considered her as a possibility but when I went back through the domestic results, Cheng is consistently scoring well down on Toulson. That, coupled with the way that the GB selection document is written, gives Cheng her very little chance in my opinion. 

52 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I had considered her as a possibility but when I went back through the domestic results, Cheng is consistently scoring well down on Toulson. That, coupled with the way that the GB selection document is written, gives Cheng her very little chance in my opinion. 

Agree, and it's a little sad because Eden is a very fine diver, but such are the consequences of being such a strong nation in the sport - and GBR are arguably no 2 only to China at the moment, and certainly in the conversation along with Mexico and Italy. I think Lois' very strong result (6th overall in the world is no laughing matter) probably seals the deal for her, barring injury.

Ross Haslam may well face a similar dilemna of being a world class diver who may still end up as the loser in a threeway with Laugher and Goodfellow (or even one of two losers in a four way JL, DG and Houldon), as might Grace Reid, Matty Lee, Kyle Kothari etc 

It's a very nice problem to have - as the late great Matthew Perry would say "My wallet's too small for my fifties, and my diamond shoes are too tight..."