website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

22 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Awesome, means my weekends in the busiest time of winter will be free to enjoy all those cancelled winter sports :banana: 

It’s possible for those sports to take place, but they have to be willing to have events with no audience. They also need to do their best to limit events to only essential personnel and athletes only. Finally, they need to keep events to a few select venues in close proximity.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

It’s possible for those sports to take place, but they have to be willing to have events with no audience. They also need to do their best to limit events to only essential personnel and athletes only. Finally, they need to keep events to a few select venues in close proximity.

Luge has been preparing for this for decades.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

An acceptable alternative if the real thing isn't possible, is what I meant. Real deal is obviously a gazillion times better :p 

The battles in sim racing are always entertaining though. Plus, no one has the advantage of a better car generally.

I do agree that nothing beats real racing though.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

The battles in sim racing are always entertaining though. Plus, no one has the advantage of a better car generally.

I do agree that nothing beats real racing though.

There's also not a real risk and because of that not the real....I don't know, 'punch' in the feeling when someone comes up with an incredible overtake (because if it goes wrong, there is absolutely no problem other than being out of the virtual race). I've seen epic sim racing battles this year that were fun, but in real life would have stopped my breath for a while out of pure excitement and tension.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

They just need to restart the internet, no worries.

source.gif

So I got into a discussion about Dick Pound with one of the Olympics Reddit moderators. Admittedly I’m not that interested in individual IOC members, but I’ve liked a lot of what Pound has had to say recently. I did some reading up on Pound, and all I can say is “how is this man still an IOC member?” His career might be the messiest I’ve ever seen. Dude’s wife got arrested for assaulting an officer while drunk during Atlanta 1996 (when he was Vice-President of the IOC). He founded WADA, and is probably the reason it’s a joke now. He once called Canada (pre-colonization) “a land of savages.” He can’t seem to hold a position down within the IOC because he likes to run his mouth and say crazy shit all the time. I’m glad I did my research because I won’t be praising Pound ever again.

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

he likes to run his mouth and say crazy shit all the time

Calling the other IOC members "the old farts" was more than accurate. Just the form was called inappropriate, but at least he said it honestly - which is extremely rare within the IOC.

On the other hand you can say Pound is one of the most influential Canadians around. If you work for 40+ years in IOC you've got connections half of the world can't even imagine and the other half simply can't even achieve. The guy is a straight arrow and doesn't seem to care about political corectness too much. Always a good thing in this shallow times of scripted PR speak and people being afraid to speak their mind.