website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

It’s complicated because white nationalist groups co-opted it a few years ago, but many people still use it for its intended purpose.

The club investigated the instance and then fired the trainer, which to me seems to indicate the trainer was using it in the less savory way.

Oh really? Seems to me to indicate the club are a gang of bedwetting cowards who won’t protect their employees against pathetic internet incels. 

13 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Oh really? Seems to me to indicate the club are a gang of bedwetting cowards who won’t protect their employees against pathetic internet incels. 

Actually, I think it was his sympathy with that group that got him fired :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

16 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

How do you know that? The whole situation started after he was spotted making the "OK" gesture at a picture of all things.

Well, the allegations are that he was making the problematic version of the “OK” gesture, which was popularized by white nationalists and incels.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

28 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Well, the allegations are that he was making the problematic version of the “OK” gesture, which was popularized by white nationalists and incels.

Allegations? Who's going to decide what is problematic or not? Is being a "problematic" a felony in USA these days?

If someone names their son Kevin Kirk is it problematic too? I mean it could be alleged this person is a Ku-Klux Klan supporter too? :mumble:

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Allegations? Who's going to decide what is problematic or not? Is being a "problematic" a felony in USA these days?

If someone names their son Kevin Kirk is it problematic too? I mean it could be alleged this person is a Ku-Klux Klan supporter too? :mumble:

I’m certainly not the authority on what is and isn’t appropriate conduct for a team trainer, but doing a gesture identified with white nationalism doesn’t seem like an unreasonable place to a draw a line.

Also, if he didn’t mean it in that context, he could have put out a statement in conjunction with the team in response to the photo. The situation would have likely been resolved at that point. The article doesn’t mention such an action.

In terms of your second hypotheticals, I wouldn’t run around naming my kids after white nationalists or confederate generals, so I guess I would have some questions for people who do. 

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’m certainly not the authority on what is and isn’t appropriate conduct for a team trainer, but doing a gesture identified with white nationalism doesn’t seem like an unreasonable place to a draw a line.

Also, if he didn’t mean it in that context, he could have put out a statement in conjunction with the team in response to the photo. The situation would have likely been resolved at that point. The article doesn’t mention such an action.

In terms of your second hypotheticals, I wouldn’t run around naming my kids after white nationalists or confederate generals, so I guess I would have some questions for people who do. 

This whole thing feels like one of those cases where at first it seems like a nonsense decision, because firing someone because of a hand gesture which is very widely known to mean 'Ok' is obviously bullshit, but then at some point a can of worms is opened and the dude turns out to be an actual far-right extremist and violent incel supporter and such :p 

Who knows.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Reminds me of the controversy about using the word "Niggardly" in English.

It's an obscure word meaning "mean about money".

It doesn't have any links with racist terms but the far right use it because they can still hint at being racist to their followers while still being able to deny being racist.

Edited by Dragon
expanded the post

On 7/23/2023 at 10:53 AM, Olympian1010 said:

Don't know anything about the person in question. But, onus of proof should not be on him. He shouldn't have to prove that he is not white nationalist. It is the other side that has to prove that he is a white nationalist.