website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

1 minute ago, Vojthas said:

Let's be honest - human is the most destroyful spiece on the planet, the only one which Earth wouldn't regret if extincted.

It's also the only species (for now) that could protect the others from extinction if an asteroid approaches tomorrow :p just saying eh, ask the dinosaurs. 

Does anyone else get the urge to watch winter sports when September/October rolls around? I swear it’s a like a switch is flipped, and my mind goes “You must watch winter sports now.” Same thing happens with summer sports at the beginning of March :d

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

29 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Does anyone else get the urge to watch winter sports when September/October rolls around? I swear it’s a like a switch is flipped, and my mind goes “You must watch winter sports now.” Same thing happens with summer sports at the beginning of March :d

Not me. Winter season officially starts after Formula 1 season is over :p

The so-called "summer sports" isn't even a thing for someone who watches soccer like me (but of course that one remains a niche sport in USA so I can't blame you here).

34 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Does anyone else get the urge to watch winter sports when September/October rolls around?

Watch? No.

Play? Hell, yes!!! I'm already after my second curling training this season, so... I know there's something going on.

9 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Not me. Winter season officially starts after Formula 1 season is over :p

The so-called "summer sports" isn't even a thing for someone who watches soccer like me (but of course that one remains a niche sport in USA so I can't blame you here).

Okay, the “not ice/snow sports” season :p 

Yeah, there’s some sports that are weird. Some of the combat sports have championships that start well into autumn. Track Cycling and Indoor Athletics have that late winter season.

I wouldn’t say Football is niche in the United States. It’s definitely mainstream now. MLS might not enjoy the same level of popularity as the MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, but it’s not that far behind anymore. Almost all of my friends in high school, who were into sports, had European Football  clubs they supported (EPL or various other popular teams like Barca, PSG, Madrid, etc.). Football doesn’t really have a season though, right? It sort of is just always going.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

44 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Okay, the “not ice/snow sports” season :p 

Yeah, there’s some sports that are weird. Some of the combat sports have championships that start well into autumn. Track Cycling and Indoor Athletics have that late winter season.

I wouldn’t say Football is niche in the United States. It’s definitely mainstream now. MLS might not enjoy the same level of popularity as the MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, but it’s not that far behind anymore. Almost all of my friends in high school, who were into sports, had European Football  clubs they supported (EPL or various other popular teams like Barca, PSG, Madrid, etc.). Football doesn’t really have a season though, right? It sort of is just always going.

Yeah, association football is played 12 months per year, even in Europe clubs play in December/January (except for Scandinavia where it gets really cold) and it's obviously on TV all the time.

Winter season for me starts in December and ends at the end of February. These days winter seasons get extended until March but that's F1 time again.

I wouldn't call soccer in USA mainstream (by European standards). That's for NFL and NBA being a distant second. MLB has a tradition but not much else and I can't really say if Americans are even interested in hockey these days anymore.

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Yeah, association football is played 12 months per year, even in Europe clubs play in December/January (except for Scandinavia where it gets really cold) and it's obviously on TV all the time.

Winter season for me starts in December and ends at the end of February. These days winter seasons get extended until March but that's F1 time again.

I wouldn't call soccer in USA mainstream (by European standards). That's for NFL and NBA being a distant second. MLB has a tradition but not much else and I can't really say if Americans are even interested in hockey these days anymore.

I feel like Hockey is hit or miss. Either you like it or you don’t. There are some diehards, but not many “casual sports fans” will watch hockey. It is popular in certain cities, but I have noticed that interest around Detroit has gone down. Fans aren’t filling the seats like they used to at Joe Louis. The atmosphere isn’t the same in “Hockeytown” anymore. The game I attended Joe Louis might have been the best sports experience I have ever had. Crowd was wild & into the game. The Wings were average that year as well. Now, the atmosphere is dead at the new arena. The venue is pretty much half empty at every game.

1 hour ago, bmo said:

I feel like Hockey is hit or miss. Either you like it or you don’t. There are some diehards, but not many “casual sports fans” will watch hockey. It is popular in certain cities, but I have noticed that interest around Detroit has gone down. Fans aren’t filling the seats like they used to at Joe Louis. The atmosphere isn’t the same in “Hockeytown” anymore. The game I attended Joe Louis might have been the best sports experience I have ever had. Crowd was wild & into the game. The Wings were average that year as well. Now, the atmosphere is dead at the new arena. The venue is pretty much half empty at every game.

What about the popularity of Football (Soccer) in the Detroit area? Many of my friends and classmates in California watched/followed European Football. Is it the same in Michigan, or is there less interest there?

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

What about the popularity of Football (Soccer) in the Detroit area? Many of my friends and classmates in California watched/followed European Football. Is it the same in Michigan, or is there less interest there?

There is a decent amount of football fans. There is a large Middle Eastern presence near Detroit which helps with that. The main issue is we don’t have a MLS team. Our best team in the Detroit area is Detroit City FC (4th tier I believe). The one match I went to was at Comerica Park (MLB stadium) between Roma & PSG. There was close to 40,000 people there which is close to selling out. There is definitely a passion for football here, but American football, baseball, basketball & hockey are still the top 4 by far. If we did have a MLS team, we could draw decent crowds, but over time I think the passion would start to die. I would love a MLS team, but they would be better off in other cities.

When I drive through the city & parks I don’t see anything but basketball courts. Football is just not part of American culture like it is in SA & Europe. Pay to play is another issue in football, but that is with every sport pretty much.