website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Coronavirus Pandemic

hckošice

9 minutes ago, Dolby said:

India has gone to massive lockdown today. And it is getting massive support from public. Why? Because seeing Italian numbers scare us. 

If we consider that Italy has reached the peak of its bell curve, we are looking at 10,000+ deaths in a country of 6 crores. We have a population of 133 crores. If Covid-19 follows similar trajectory we are looking at 200,000+ deaths. Even half fatality rate would mean 100,000+ deaths. We have younger demographics compared to Italy but significant population has diabetes, heart conditions, malnourishment, asthma and other ailments. 

I don't want to sound insensitive, but what?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 minutes ago, MHSN said:

crore means 10 millions,  :d

Thanks one tenth of a crore for the explanation.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, MHSN said:

This disaster started in Iran and Italy almost at the same time, (probably a bit sooner in Iran) and both countries have almost the same population and the numbers were more or less the same until few days ago , since then it's increasing in a very scary way in Italy while they are steady here ! for this reason I see so many people here question the numbers coming out of health ministry, even though I still see no reason for coverup while every minute you see someone on TV begging people to stay at home and telling people a catastrophe is awaiting for us if people don't listen, but I also can't find a reason explaining this. :mumble: because I'm 100% sure the Iranian government didn't handle it better than the Italians, that's simply impossible. it's just hard to be worse than officials here. I also know our health system and our doctors are probably the best in the region but still not better than Europe.

so the question remains, if we believe the numbers, what's the reason ? actually I'm not talking about the number of infected people.  that's somehow irrelevant, countries have different policies, in some places they test everybody, but for example in Iran, the number of test they can do per day is limited. therefore they don't test everybody. I'm mostly talking about the number of deaths. I know we have a younger population, probably much younger, but is that enough to explain this huge difference ?

The number we get is just the top of the iceberg, I don't think it's about "hiding" numbers but it's just about how much you test. In small cities with many cases here there are surely more cases than official numbers even in death people number, because not all dead people were tested so some people died but will not count in official numbers.

We can get that even by a simply comparison between total cases and cases of "famous" people who tested positive :d Politicians, football players, actors and so on.

I don't think a total lockdown is feasible for more than a few weeks here in Europe anyway (at least I hope so, otherwise people will soon start to die anyway and not for the virus. Our economy is going to die soon).

Confirmed cases per nation courtesy worldometers

Highlighted in green
= all cases have recovered from the infection
Highlighted in grey
= all cases have had an outcome (there are no active cases)

We don’t like to be outdone on leaderboards :p

Well, what can I say :dunno:

We should fly by China within the next week probably. I’d imagine we’ll be the first to reach 100,000, but maybe the Italians will give us some competition. Coronavirus has resurrected the Ford v. Ferrari battle lines :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela