website statistics

Naturalized Athletes at the Summer Olympic Games 2016

9 hours ago, Pavlo said:

i rather meant Wozniak. Dabrowski only as she had some choice, has Polish name and "origin". Does Wozniak still play?

Wozniak was also born and raised in Canada, her family immigrated from Poland 4 years before she was born. I believe she might still play?

1 minute ago, juddy96 said:

Wozniak was also born and raised in Canada, her family immigrated from Poland 4 years before she was born. I believe she might still play?

She is ranked around the top 500 right now. I believe she's trying to recover from injury problems. At her age (28) it's hard to see her back in the top 50 unfortunately.

2 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

I promised I would never reply to you ever again, but this comment is just so awful that I have to say you are an ignorant person for mocking a serious case of leukemia. Being sarcastic about a devastating illness is absolutely disgusting, and I don't care if I get banned for saying this. I was talking about Chusovitina as an athlete. The whole ordeal with her son has nothing to do with this.

Chusovitina won a medal at the 2006 World Championships, so she was NOWHERE near retirement or in bad shape when she moved to Germany. She has never really been loyal to any country, so I wouldn't be surprised if she decides to compete for, say, Azerbaijan at this point, even though she said she will retire this year. In 2008, earning a medal for Germany would give her a lot more money than earning a medal for Uzbekistan. She knew that and she needed the money, so she switched countries. I don't judge her reasons, but the fact that she could just go back to Uzbekistan now that she is nowhere near the medal stand anymore makes it rough to see naturalized athletes as "normal citizens". They are citizens as long as they pay their taxes, but once they decide to move back to their country of birth, they are not "normal citizens" anymore.

Even so, there are different situations for different athletes. I'm not a fan of switching back and forth neither, but it's hard to compare that with an athlete who, say, came to a country in 2005, trained and lived there for years and eventually decided to compete for that country. 

Just taking a Dutch athlete as example: Ghana-born long jumper Ignisious Gaisah has been living and training in the Netherlands for the greater part of the year for many, many years now (I believe at the athletics club in Rotterdam). Without Ghana his career wouldn't have started, but without his move to the Netherlands long ago it might be possible to say his career would never have gotten so far. I don't see anything wrong in moves like this and also no reason to see them as any different.

It of course would get different if we're talking about an athlete who is already quite old (25+ or something), goes to a country like the Netherlands to compete for that country and barely ever resides or even trains there. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 godziny temu, juddy96 napisał:

so they aren`t naturalized :) -,they just had 50/50 choice, i thought that they went to Canada as kids or youth, so Germany is the only nation in which Polish athletes are sometimes "naturalized" 

I fell in love with sports.....since i first seen it

3 godziny temu, thiago_simoes napisał:

I promised I would never reply to you ever again, but this comment is just so awful that I have to say you are an ignorant person for mocking a serious case of leukemia. Being sarcastic about a devastating illness is absolutely disgusting, and I don't care if I get banned for saying this. I was talking about Chusovitina as an athlete. The whole ordeal with her son has nothing to do with this.

Chusovitina won a medal at the 2006 World Championships, so she was NOWHERE near retirement or in bad shape when she moved to Germany. She has never really been loyal to any country, so I wouldn't be surprised if she decides to compete for, say, Azerbaijan at this point, even though she said she will retire this year. In 2008, earning a medal for Germany would give her a lot more money than earning a medal for Uzbekistan. She knew that and she needed the money, so she switched countries. I don't judge her reasons, but the fact that she could just go back to Uzbekistan now that she is nowhere near the medal stand anymore makes it rough to see naturalized athletes as "normal citizens". They are citizens as long as they pay their taxes, but once they decide to move back to their country of birth, they are not "normal citizens" anymore.

what? he was just "meritoric" in showing 1 example. Still Germany didn`t buy her like Turkey does or even Brazil in field hockey. If she changes countries like gloves...well....what Germans coud do, to forbid her to start when she was entitled to according to German law?? You went totally over the top and i think you should be careful with such quick and harsh judgements of other people basing on totallympics posts. This is so immature

Edited by Pavlo

I really hope those Dutch players play in some strong Brazilian field hockey club for some 3-4 years at least ;). I`m happy to see for all of you that in fact....some Brazilian users aren`t so "saint" as it was presented to you :)

Athletes with Serbian descent that will represent other countries:

First is of course Slobodan Soro (waterpolo GK)-Brazil. He is I think only one that participate for Serbia in past.

2. Andrea Petkovic (tennis)-Germany

3. Kristina Mladenovic (tennis)-France

4. Dani Nestor (tennis)-Canada

5. Milos Raonic (tennis)-Canada

6. Nikola Karabatic (handball)- France

7. Dragan Travica (volleyball)- Italy

8. Vlada Jankovic (basketball)- Greece (?)

9. Aleks Maric (basketball)-Australia

Edited by dareza

7 minutes ago, dareza said:

Athletes with Serbian descent that will represent other countries:

First is of course Slobodan Soro (waterpolo GK)-Brazil. He is I think only one that participate for Serbia in past.

2. Andrea Petkovic (tennis)-Germany

3. Kristina Mladenovic (tennis)-France

4. Dani Nestor (tennis)-Canada

5. Milos Raonic (tennis)-Canada

6. Nikola Karabatic (handball)- France

7. Dragan Travica (volleyball)- Italy

8. Vlada Jankovic (basketball)- Greece (?)

9. Aleks Maric (basketball)-Australia

Maybe this will be interesting: In one moment for Canadian davis cup played all players with Serbian descent: Nestor,Raonic and Dancevic. and btw Nestor and Dancevic have Serbian wifes

Edited by dareza