website statistics

Naturalized Athletes at the Summer Olympic Games 2016

If people start to name athletes like Mladenovic, then this thread becomes completely useless. It makes absolutely no sense to act as if she is a serbian athlete who got naturalized by France. Petkovic came to Germany at the age of 6 months and was born in Bosnia, so how the hell is she supposed to be a serbian athlete?

Its like saying that Carlos Boozer (born in Germany), Ashley Wagner (born in Germany), Bernard Tomic (born in Germany) or Leonardo di Caprio (german mother) are german ...

For me naturalized athletes are those who spent most of their lifes in another country and competed for another country internationally before, someone like Kevin-Prince Boateng or Jermaine Jones, but not someone like Mo Farah for example.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

If people start to name athletes like Mladenovic, then this thread becomes completely useless. It makes absolutely no sense to act as if she is a serbian athlete who got naturalized by France. Petkovic came to Germany at the age of 6 months and was born in Bosnia, so how the hell is she supposed to be a serbian athlete?

Its like saying that Carlos Boozer (born in Germany), Ashley Wagner (born in Germany), Bernard Tomic (born in Germany) or Leonardo di Caprio (german mother) are german ...

lol. Please learn some about athletes that represent your country :) Petkovic: "Obviously I'm German, but I always say my soul is still Serbian" or this maybe: " "But I consider myself to have a big Serbian heart, because I'm more emotional than Germans usually are. I have a big temper, though I try to control it. I hang around a lot with the Serbs at tournaments because they are somehow a little more easy-going, although I'm also very good friends with the German girls."  :yes

5 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

For me naturalized athletes are those who spent most of their lifes in another country and competed for another country internationally before, someone like Kevin-Prince Boateng or Jermaine Jones, but not someone like Mo Farah for example.

Athletes with Serbian descent that will represent other countries:

where do you see naturalized? Maybe you should learn to read first

Just now, dcro said:

Well, the name of the thread is "Naturalized athletes at 2016 Olympics" so :p

yes, but dareza didn't write they are

i also mentioned above we went off topic :d

Anyway i opened thread because of countries like Bahrain who will have 20+ foreign athletes while many countries of different size and economic situation depend of wild cards to reach 10

It's really unfair!

vor 7 Stunden schrieb dareza:

lol. Please learn some about athletes that represent your country :) Petkovic: "Obviously I'm German, but I always say my soul is still Serbian" or this maybe: " "But I consider myself to have a big Serbian heart, because I'm more emotional than Germans usually are. I have a big temper, though I try to control it. I hang around a lot with the Serbs at tournaments because they are somehow a little more easy-going, although I'm also very good friends with the German girls."  :yes

No, you should learn to read! This thread is about NATURALIZED athletes and then someone named Mladenovic, an athlete who was born in France and spent all her life in France thats why i said that this thread becomes useless if we name athletes like her. The comment was either useless in this thread or the person who wrote it wanted to suggest that Mladenovic is (almost) like a naturalized athlete which also would be completely wrong.

About Petkovic: Kerber also said a lot of things like this in the past and one of her best friends is Radwanska, but in the end they all play for Germany and they always want to play, because they love to play for Germany. On the other hand we have 100% russian/american/belarusian players (Serena, Sharapova or Azarenka for example) wo only play for their home countries if they have to. In the end players like Petkovic or Kerber have done a lot for german sport and thats all what counts for me, no one forbid them to play for Serbia/Poland, but they just didnt want to do it.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

15 godzin temu, heywoodu napisał:

Did Brazil buy these field hockey players? You mean the two brothers who have a Brazilian mother and the player who was actually even born in Brazil and therefore already had a Brazilian passport?

i was just asking in fact having no idea, generally i didn`t like his reply

I fell in love with sports.....since i first seen it

I don't see a problem with all the cases where the athlete has at least some connection to the country. What I'm against is countries systematically buying up athletes from others. It's just corruption, plain and simple.