website statistics

Track Cycling at the Cycling UCI World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

1 minute ago, Rafa Maciel said:

That's right - but teams will only count their two best results from the Nations Cup. 

I hope Great Britain will qualify for the men's team pursuit, you are the favourites! and what do you think of the chances of France to qualify the 4 teams?

Just now, Benolympique said:

are they already deducted? or will it be done at the end of the qualifications?

From what I can see, the discard score from the 2023 Nations Cup series has already been deducted.

The discard for 2024 will take effect after the third Nations Cup which I think is in Milton, Canada in April next year. 

8 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

From what I can see, the discard score from the 2023 Nations Cup series has already been deducted.

The discard for 2024 will take effect after the third Nations Cup which I think is in Milton, Canada in April next year. 

and the next World Cup in October?

7 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

I hope Great Britain will qualify for the men's team pursuit, you are the favourites! and what do you think of the chances of France to qualify the 4 teams?

:FRA look to be pretty safe in 3 of the team events - Men's and Women's Team Pursuits and Men's Team Sprint.

For Women's Team Sprint, I have them in 9th place - so just outside of the qualifying spots. They have a deficit of 71 points to make up on New Zealand in 8th and 90 points on 7th placed Canada. If all the teams replicate their 2023 Nations Cup/Continental Champs performances in 2024, France should comfortably overtake New Zealand. 

Key thing for France will be Euro Champs - ideally, they really need to make sure that they outscore Poland.

3 hours ago, Noorderling29 said:

Given the relative strengths of the teams, Germany had to bring their A-game to the second round to have a chance to ride for bronze. I don’t see them delivering a faster time in a third ride. NL and AUS did not need to post their fastest time in the second round. If based on the times in the second round you want to believe that Germany is closer to the two top teams, no one can stop you.

1) Last year Germany was faster in the bronze medal match than they were in the 2nd round, so what you said is evidently nonsense.

2) Germany was 1.4 seconds behind the fastest team in the 2nd round last year, this year they were only 1.1 seconds behind the fastest team in the 2nd round -> Clear improvement.

3) In my opinion you can only behave in a condescending way (which doesn't mean that you should) if you are actually in the right. Behaving that way while being in the wrong just makes you look foolish.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

4 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Ok, obviously I'll need to make my point even clearer ...

Germany was closer to the top teams (Netherlands/Australia) than last year and obviously times from the finals don't count. Germany only had 2 rides, so obviously it wouldn't make sense to use times from rounds were Germany didn't even compete. You might say that maybe France didn't give their best in the 2nd round and that their time therefore didn't reflect their true strength, but obviously they would have had zero incentive to do so (since a better time in the 2nd round would have given them a chance to ride for gold, so it would make no sense to assume that they didn't given their best in the 2nd round). Not sure why you felt the need to use a completely different definition of "top teams" just to keep the discussion going ...

Whatever the reason was for France not making it into the bronze final last year doesn't matter for this discussion and of course neither of us knows what time they could/would/should have gone. Germany is closer to the top teams time wise than last year, although their ranking this year doesn't reflect it.

I did not even dare to imagine you were refering to Australia and the Netherlands as the comparison has no bearing whatsoever.

Germany wasn't faster than last year and for whatever reason the TOP TEAMS held back in the semis. As they recorded the near exact same times in the final I don't see any reason to conclude a reduction of the gap.