website statistics

Athletics WA World Championships 2023

Totallympics

5 hours ago, dcro said:

Regarding the shared golds, everyone tied for gold can just decide together to stop jumping and then what...? 3, 5, 9, 12 shared gold medals become the norm?

Right, but we haven’t seen that scenario at all. I believe athletes can be disqualified if they don’t put forward a “full-faith effort” (at least that’s the case in many sports), so if athletes were to attempt that before the competition came to the “natural” conclusion they would likely be disqualified.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I was so happy to see McMaster :IVB get a medal. He’s had such an up and down career.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

9 hours ago, NearPup said:

Ya but even if you are the more competitive athlete... what is the downside, really? Especially at the Olympics where you don't have to share prize money.

You can't be called 'The Olympic champion', but are 'one of the Olympic champions'. I know, semantics, but if you're a very competitive athlete, it would be perfectly understandable for that to matter. If I wanted to train my whole life to be one of the champions instead if the champion, I'd do a team sport :p 

Moon clearly wanted to go for it, but yeah...she was noped out of it by Kennedy :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 hours ago, Werloc said:

They probably don't want to invest in better servers, because they only suffer these traffic spikes once in two years :d 

To think it's probably hosted in AWS or Azure or something, with automatic scaling being easily implemented, so the extra investment would end up giving extra costs for like one hour a day for one week every two years because an hour or so after the session is done, they can automatically scale back down :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 hours ago, Oldira said:

Adeleke is just 20 and has had a full season in the US Collegiate system. She  has 3 Olympics ahead of her. She will soon enough beat all of the above.

Beat all of the above is in, dominate the event? Because that's something we hear from every very talented athlete, but most of them 'just' end up being very good, instead of constantly beating the rest :p 

8 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

I did not see any. Kerr ran forward to his family & Ingebritsen had gone to the mixed zone by the time he came back. The other Norwegian & everyone else shook his hand.  But I guess politeness is a cultural difference.

Does it have to be in front of the cameras though? Perfectly good chance somewhere behind the scenes he quickly congratulated him or something. And if not, honest "I dont want to" is still way better than those fake hugs one especially sees often in the women's (sprint) events, where they give those weird air hug things without even a single look towards each other, entirely because of the cameras :p 

Is there as much discussion in your countries about race walking 'being ridiculous' and 'why is not every single athlete thrown out?' and 'why is this a sport if clearly everyone breaks the rules all the time' and so on? :p 

I mean, outside of European/world athletics championships and the Olympics of course nobody here watches a second of race walking, but during those events, it's the exact same discussion every time :p 

8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Is there as much discussion in your countries about race walking 'being ridiculous' and 'why is not every single athlete thrown out?' and 'why is this a sport if clearly everyone breaks the rules all the time' and so on? :p 

I mean, outside of European/world athletics championships and the Olympics of course nobody here watches a second of race walking, but during those events, it's the exact same discussion every time :p 

In Italy race walking is taken very seriously, occasionally even secondary races are shown on TV. But during the main events, our commentators are engaged in minute technical analysis with some interviews with our technicians during the race