website statistics

Tennis ITF Roland Garros 2023

Totallympics

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Almost NID. It seems like Sakkari's GS window has closed in the second half of 2021/early 2022. Still only Rabat 250 title on her resume.

I wouldn't say so, this is WTA after all, anything is possible :lol:

I'm not surprised about this loss. The two unseeded players that everyone wanted to avoid in the early rounds were Muchova and Vondrousova. Of course Sakkari had to face one of them, just like she drew Andreescu in Miami...but it is what it is, she also lost to Zhu at the Australian Open and Tatjana Maria at Wimbledon last year so we can't always complain about the draw.

I just wish she played Rabat this year to get another title, she withdrew at the last minute and the draw ended up being a joke and it would've been a good chance to get another title.

Also it's the third year in a row she loses to a lower-ranked Czech opponent in Paris (Krejcikova 2021, Muchova 2022 and 2023). Also was upset by Siniakova in 2019. Next year I predict she'll lose to either Vondrousova, Noskova, or Bouzkova :facepalm:

Big upset among the women as :SVK Anna Karolina Schmiedlova beats (11) Veronika Kudermetova 6-3 6-1! @hckošice

Meanwhile :SUI (12) Belinda Bencic lost to Elina Avanesyan but that wasn't that surprising given Bencic missed the entire clay season with injury.

FAA :CAN ended up losing 6-4, 6-4, 6-3 to Fognini  :ITA 

Yet again, another early exit for him. :cry: To be fair though, he's still recovering from his recent Lyon Open shoulder injury, and frankly wasn't expecting him to be competing so soon. Then again though, FAA has had a terrible start to the clay court season (R64 Madrid Open, R64 Italian Open, QF Lyon Open, R128 Roland Garros), only managing to win a single match against a player ranked outside the top 200, and clay historically has been his least favorite surface (At least in terms of results, maybe with 2022 as an exception), so I'm unsure as to whether he'd be doing damage fully healthy. He has the talent to contend with the best, he just can't seem to find consistency. I mean, this same FAA took Rafa to five sets at RG last year (R16). IMO Fontang needs to go :facepalm::hairpull: