website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

3 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Hosting Olympic Games isn't an honor anymore. The old fashioned bidding contests are dead. Democracies are no longer willing to spend money on the "show" unlike the Middle East gulf moguls plus China. It is what it is. Professional sports is business now and it has to invest money from somewhere to make a profit later. We can mock how NBC dictates the swimming programme with finals in the morning local time but that also falls into "authoritarian" style of organzing these Games. And it will only get worse as the big pockets will only have more influence going forward. There will come a time when Bach won't be viewed as the worst anymore because just when you think it can't get any worse, it can and probably will :p

That is more a legacy of Rogge’s IOC than Bach’s imo.

Admittedly the disastrous 2022 bidding process happened under Bach, but all the seeds that the IOC was reaping were sowed under Rogge and Samaranch.

Like say what you will about Bach but under Agenda 2020 every Olympic has been awarded to a democracy ( :FRA:ITA:USA:FRA:AUS:USA:SUI ), and we haven’t had super disastrous decisions like awarding the Winter Olympics to Sochi or awarding the Summer Olympics to an Athens bid that wasn’t going to use any temporary venues.

Edited by NearPup

10 hours ago, phelps said:

no, it's that fuckin' agenda 2020 (and following), that fuckin' gender equality, the fact that they got rid of iconic events (and made some more of them just ridiculous), the senseless mixed events (most of them, at least) and the fact that they filled the schedule with an unacceptable amount of non-sports  

Like things wouldn't change with another IOC president instead of Bach. No president is going to afford to keep the Olympics stuck in 1928 forever. You do realize people were yelling like this at some point when they allowed, god forbid, women to compete? :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

48 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Like things wouldn't change with another IOC president instead of Bach. No president is going to afford to keep the Olympics stuck in 1928 forever. You do realize people were yelling like this at some point when they allowed, god forbid, women to compete? :p 

Only letting women compete in the 100, 200 and 400m is the most equitable solution. Female bodies just aren’t handled to endure the stress of an 800m race.

1 hour ago, Grassmarket said:

Will be strange having someone who's never been a Gold Medallist in anything doing the job, but will save a lot of pixels in the captions. 

Then again, "2004 Olympic swimming champion and 2008 Olympic swimming champion and 2004 Olympic swimming silver medalist and 2008 Olympic silver medalist and 2004 Olympic bronze medalist" has even less of a ring to it.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

From the list I think it could be between Coe and Coventry. Coe will likely get all the western nations behind him. Coventry can bank on African support. Others imo will likely get minimal support. However since this is a secret ballot vote, don't count out the rich folks like Eliasch or prince Al Hussein. 

22 minutes ago, phelps said:

just as if I wrote that the Olympics have to be stuck in 1920's

naaa, I give up :WHT 

because it's not that you just can't, you simply don't want to understand what I wrote

I very much do, it's just that you come in with a double-leg tackle, to use a football analogy (fucking agenda, fucking gender equality, fucking this and that, ridiculous this and that), so it makes it hard to understand what you actually mean (like in concrete terms) and which part of it is possibly the fault of a single person instead of the world changing.

Edited by heywoodu

4 minutes ago, FireRun said:

From the list I think it could be between Coe and Coventry. Coe will likely get all the western nations behind him. Coventry can bank on African support. Others imo will likely get minimal support. However since this is a secret ballot vote, don't count out the rich folks like Eliasch or prince Al Hussein. 

Too bad for Coventry it's not a FIFA election, otherwise African support would have gotten her a long way already.