website statistics

Beach Volleyball FIVB World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

10 hours ago, phelps said:

Italians...the usual floppers, when it really matters :facepalm:

To be fair, none of your pairings were favoured in their matches. IMO only Carambula/Ranghieri (against Partain/Benesh) and Menegatti/Gottardi (against Hüberli/Brunner) had realistic chances to win. I wasn’t surprised to see Italy go 0-4.

Hearthbreaking loss for Bryl/Łosiak, after losing first set to 11, then they won second 22-20, while the tie-break starts with 4-0 for Swedish pair then Polish pair managed to catch up them at 8-8, then they lead until 11-9, after that they played point by point, at 12-12 Swedes takes a challenge which they won and then our pair wasted two match points at 14-13 and 15-14, which was used by Alhman who ended match at 18-16 :( 

We was so close for first ever Polish medal at beach volleyball world championships (yes, bronze is still possible) and one more win away from direct Olympic quota :( Once more bad luck like in 90% other sports where wasted close chances this year...

Men’s Gold Medal Match

:CZE Perušić/Schweiner v. :SWE Åhman/Hellvig

Men’s Bronze Medal Match

:USA Crabb/Brunner v. :POL Bryl/Łosiak

I’d be surprised if Poland doesn’t win their first World Championships medal here. 

Women’s Gold Medal Match

:USA Hughes/Cheng v. :BRA Duda/Ana Patricia

Women’s Bronze Medal Match

:USA Kloth/Nuss v. :AUS Clancy/Mariafe

23 hours ago, Josh said:

To be fair, none of your pairings were favoured in their matches. IMO only Carambula/Ranghieri (against Partain/Benesh) and Menegatti/Gottardi (against Hüberli/Brunner) had realistic chances to win. I wasn’t surprised to see Italy go 0-4.

yeah, but I wasn't talking specifically of the round of #16 matches (even if I think that Menegatti/Gottardi should have won easily vs :AUS Clancy/Mariafe...the men killed themselves with the pools results and the consequential bad draw in the knockout stage*), it's more a general thought...it's since Rio 2016 that our pairs aren't performing well in the world champs as they often do in the world tour tournaments

*Nicolai/Cottafava also wasted the chance to beat the worst version of :NOR Mol/Sorum ever, tbh...if they didn't get a W this time, they will never do it :facepalm:

7 minutes ago, phelps said:

yeah, but I wasn't talking specifically of the round of #16 matches (even if I think that Menegatti/Gottardi should have won easily vs :AUS Clancy/Mariafe...the men killed themselves with the pools results and the consequential bad draw in the knockout stage*), it's more a general thought...it's since Rio 2016 that our pairs aren't performing well in the world champs as they often do in the world tour tournaments

*Nicolai/Cottafava also wasted the chance to beat the worst version of :NOR Mol/Sorum ever, tbh...if they didn't get a W this time, they will never do it :facepalm:

Clancy/Mariafe are the reigning Olympic silver medalists, and are a top ten team, how was a win against them gonna be “easy” ? (Not unless you’re Duda/AP :p)

I feel bad for Menegatti, she carries her team. Wonder what she’d be able to do with a better defender. Same with Latvia,  but to a lesser extent. Samoilova has moments of brilliance, but sometimes struggles to sideout, and can also become error prone during crucial moments (Cheng/Hughes QF: *11-13, Samoilova missed serve, and then she gets aced to end the match). Graudina rarely has bad matches, always a beast on sideout.