website statistics

Russian athletes that have changed nationalities

Cinnamon Bun

On 3/11/2023 at 12:27 AM, Olympian1010 said:

Mikhail Novikov (sailing: formula kite), who had some top results in youth competitions, switched to :VAN

https://www.sail-world.com/news/259610/Formula-Kite-PanAmericans-conclude-in-Cabarete

First victory!! 

5 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

There is a rower representing Uzbekistan named Anna Prakaten with decent results, is this Hanna Prakatsen who won silver for ROC at the Tokyo Olympics? I think so...

Yes, I believe it is.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/en.newizv.ru/news/2021-07-30/anna-prakaten-won-the-silver-medal-in-rowing-at-the-olympics-386202%3famp=1.

Also, wrestler Dauren Kurugliev will likely represent Greece starting with this year's World Championships:

https://sportsfeed.gr/metagrafi-olympiakoy-metallioy-apo-ti-rosia-stin-elliniki-pali/

I am disappointed in this, especially since I always judge other countries who naturalize athletes, so now it would be hypocritical of me to celebrate his success. It's even more strange that our wrestling federation basically kicked out our top athlete Giorgos Pilidis (2021 World U23 Champion and our only male wrestler to compete in Tokyo that year), but is shopping for wrestlers from other countries :facepalm:

I don't know if this has much to do with the war, Kurugliev is already 30 yo and will be 32 in Paris, and has never competed in the Olympics due to not being the top Russian in his weight class.

14 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Also, wrestler Dauren Kurugliev will likely represent Greece starting with this year's World Championships:

https://sportsfeed.gr/metagrafi-olympiakoy-metallioy-apo-ti-rosia-stin-elliniki-pali/

I am disappointed in this, especially since I always judge other countries who naturalize athletes, so now it would be hypocritical of me to celebrate his success. It's even more strange that our wrestling federation basically kicked out our top athlete Giorgos Pilidis (2021 World U23 Champion and our only male wrestler to compete in Tokyo that year), but is shopping for wrestlers from other countries :facepalm:

I don't know if this has much to do with the war, Kurugliev is already 30 yo and will be 32 in Paris, and has never competed in the Olympics due to not being the top Russian in his weight class.

in wrestling there is a small window at the end of each year for transfers like this. as far as I know if he didn't transfer already, he has to wait until December. (but maybe they did the paperwork months ago)

not competing in the Olympics doesn't make him a bad wrestler, he is a multiple Yarygin Champion. in 2016 he didn't go to Rio because the best wrestler in the history was representing Russia.  and in 2020 he lost only 2-1 to Artur Naifonov (eventual Tokyo bronze medalist) in the Russian trials.

he can be easily #3 in the world (if we consider just 1 for each country) 86kg is relatively weak. he finished 5th in Worlds 2018 only because #1 and #2 both were on his side of the draw.

his uncle Magomed wrestled for Kazakhstan and won an Olympic medal, I wonder why he didn't go that path

2 hours ago, MHSN said:

in wrestling there is a small window at the end of each year for transfers like this. as far as I know if he didn't transfer already, he has to wait until December. (but maybe they did the paperwork months ago)

not competing in the Olympics doesn't make him a bad wrestler, he is a multiple Yarygin Champion. in 2016 he didn't go to Rio because the best wrestler in the history was representing Russia.  and in 2020 he lost only 2-1 to Artur Naifonov (eventual Tokyo bronze medalist) in the Russian trials.

he can be easily #3 in the world (if we consider just 1 for each country) 86kg is relatively weak. he finished 5th in Worlds 2018 only because #1 and #2 both were on his side of the draw.

his uncle Magomed wrestled for Kazakhstan and won an Olympic medal, I wonder why he didn't go that path

The article says he is already in Greece to prepare his paperwork, so I wonder if it will not happen until after 2023 based on what you said.

2 hours ago, Makedonas said:

The article says he is already in Greece to prepare his paperwork, so I wonder if it will not happen until after 2023 based on what you said.

just checked again to make sure they didn't change the rule

"The new national federation of a wrestler who wishes to change his/her sports nationality shall send a request in writing with complete file and payment(s) to United World Wrestling in the period between 1 and 31 December."

https://cdn.uww.org/s3fs-public/2022-07/change_nationality_june_2022_final_eng.pdf?VersionId=J.DIBoIwL1TqZV1PmTcNu0NhOz0kQQqM

but maybe Greek federation sent the request earlier but if they didn't he has to wait until 2024 to be eligible.