website statistics

Women's Water Polo LEN European Championship 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Just now, RussB said:

Hi all - can someone clarify how the Paris 2024 quotas work on the Women's side?

Watched the GB women pull off a great win yday and wondering if a 5th place finish here (behind Spain and Netherlands) would be enough to gain a spot at Paris? or can the qualification only be achieved from results at Doha?

Whoever wins the tournament this week will secure a quota for Paris - unless they already have one in which case I think it would go to the highest placed non-qualified nation. If that is the case, then the way that the draw has worked out it looks like the quota will go to either :ITA or :GRE.

A fifth place finish here would put GB into the Doha WC draw where 2 further quotas will be available - in fact depending on how the other results go then GB could finish in 6th or 7th and they would still qualify for Doha. 

Pretty brutal quarter-final for the :GBR girls, coming out on the wrong side of a 25-6 shellacking at the hands of :NED.

Would be easy for them to be disheartened by the scale of the result, but worth bearing in mind that this was the first time in a decade that they qualified for the Europeans and, in reaching the QFs, they have guaranteed their place in the 2026 competition. Hopefully they can put in a good show in their next couple of matches and secure a spot in Doha. 

2 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Pretty brutal quarter-final for the :GBR girls, coming out on the wrong side of a 25-6 shellacking at the hands of :NED.

Would be easy for them to be disheartened by the scale of the result, but worth bearing in mind that this was the first time in a decade that they qualified for the Europeans and, in reaching the QFs, they have guaranteed their place in the 2026 competition. Hopefully they can put in a good show in their next couple of matches and secure a spot in Doha. 

I think they'd have know going into they didn't have a hope in hell's chance of winning. The big game is tomorrow against a fragile Croatia who haven't played well all tournament, they'll fancy their chances. 

15th place at the end.

5 games,

2 Wins, both against Bulgaria in Preliminary Round and today in the 15th Place match

3 losses to :GBR large one & :GER close one in the Group and to :TUR in the 13th-16th Placement semifinal :facepalm: This one really hurt and made the girls fail the tournament´s goal...which was the Top 14

Well, apart that match against Turkiye, I guess this was all what we could do here with the youngest roster of all with quite a lot of 15 and 16 years old girls

Nevermind, good lessons for our girls, they enjoyed their stay at this Tourney and next time it will be better :yes

image.png

2 hours ago, Benolympique said:

Italy :ITA or :GRE for the quota 

If we end up playing each other for the spot (which is the most likely scenario as :ESP and :NED are big favourites to reach the final), then I must point out that we won our last three matches with Italy. So naturally we are due for a loss to them, so I guess we'll miss the quota :cry:

We beat Italy 10-4 in January 2021 at the Olympic Qualification Tournament, 12-9 in September 2022 at the European Championships, and 16-12 in July 2023 at the World Championships.

Anyways, next we are facing Spain who we have not beaten since the 2018 European Championships. Since then, we played them four times with three losses and one draw...So it's hard to be optimistic...

Edited by Makedonas

Thanks all for the info! It's a new sport for me to be exposed to and I have tickets to a group game at Paris, which is exciting! Britain might be able to compete in the 5th-8th place matches after clearly being overwhelmed by Netherlands

12 hours ago, phelps said:

I just can't believe we beat :HUN last night :yikes:

however, I don't see the miracle happening again vs :NED first and/or likely :GRE then :cry:

I'm sure you also didn't expect the win vs USA last year, so Italy definitely still has a good chance at getting this quota (unfortunately for us :lol:)