website statistics

Women's Water Polo LEN European Championship 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Great start for our girls with a 14-12 win over Hungary. Giannopoulou was the unlikely hero with 4 goals, she is someone who we normally don't even expect to play much.

We also won 25-8 today against Croatia which was expected.

As the Netherlands and Spain are already qualified, it is between :GRE :ITA :HUN for the one Olympic ticket here (and the other two will have a chance at next month's World Championships).

Also I want to mention that 35 yo Alexandra Asimaki is in our team, she is back after retiring in 2020, having a baby, becoming a coach, then becoming a player again and now she is here. Her inclusion in our team was important since Maria Myriokefalitaki got injured and can't compete.

:GBR women finish the preliminary round with victory over :GER (if only the basketball team had managed the same result back in the summer!:() to top their table. Looks like they will be up against :ISR tomorrow for a place in the quarter-finals. 

Israel haven't had a great tournament so the Brits will be optimistic of pulling off the win - unfortunately they'd then be up against either :NED or :GRE so the journey is likely to end there, but if they can get into the QF they qualify for the 2026 European Champs and would give them a chance of qualifying for Doha World Champs. 

On 1/6/2024 at 7:03 PM, Makedonas said:

Great start for our girls with a 14-12 win over Hungary. Giannopoulou was the unlikely hero with 4 goals, she is someone who we normally don't even expect to play much.

We also won 25-8 today against Croatia which was expected.

As the Netherlands and Spain are already qualified, it is between :GRE :ITA :HUN for the one Olympic ticket here (and the other two will have a chance at next month's World Championships).

Also I want to mention that 35 yo Alexandra Asimaki is in our team, she is back after retiring in 2020, having a baby, becoming a coach, then becoming a player again and now she is here. Her inclusion in our team was important since Maria Myriokefalitaki got injured and can't compete.

now, after today's comfortable win by :ESP over :ITA, the Olympic qualification is basically a direct match-up between :HUN and :GRE

and given what I saw earlier today, I'd say :ITA don't stand a chance

on the other side of the table draw, :GRE are the big favourite to reach at least a chance of direct playoff-match once again against :HUN (if both end up in the BMM -or, more unlikely, in the GMM)

Edited by phelps

sorry, i had to edit my previous post as I wrongly thought about 2 quota places, but it's actually only one in this tournament :facepalm:

p.s. in any case, :ITA still don't stand a chance to earn it :cry:

Brilliant from :GBR, edging out :ISR 13-14 in the playoff. Genuinely think we have a cracking chance at qualifying for the Worlds next year, may only have to beat someone like :CRO or :FRA to do so. 

Edited by Cinnamon Bun

5 hours ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Brilliant from :GBR, edging out :ISR 13-14 in the playoff. Genuinely think we have a cracking chance at qualifying for the Worlds next year, may only have to beat someone like :CRO or :FRA to do so. 

For 'next year' do you mean Doha or do you think they'll need to wait until 2025 in Kallang? 

14 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

For 'next year' do you mean Doha or do you think they'll need to wait until 2025 in Kallang? 

Doha (still think I'm in 2023), similarly to Israel Croatia haven't looked very good this tournament so the opportunity is there if we can take it. Kallang and Budapest in 2027 are more realistic targets though. 

Hi all - can someone clarify how the Paris 2024 quotas work on the Women's side?

Watched the GB women pull off a great win yday and wondering if a 5th place finish here (behind Spain and Netherlands) would be enough to gain a spot at Paris? or can the qualification only be achieved from results at Doha?