website statistics

Women's Football UEFA European Nations League 2023 - 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

• 2 months later...

Not that I expect to qualify anyway, but group vs England is harsh. At least qualifying will be with Miedema as things stand, so that's... something. But I feel like we have problems with the lesser nations last few years, that doesn't help with this format where only a single team will go through. 4 points vs England is not easy.

Spain also not exactly on easy mode, but vs Sweden is doable (but Italy and Switzerland might be tough anyway, although they can surely interfere with Sweden) and then just one match away from a Q.

I'm glad they moved the European qualifications out of the World Cup. Having non-European nations influencing who qualifies was always going to create issues. Especially with Europe getting so few quotas. Not sure why FIFA felt Africa & South America deserves two guaranteed quotas each, they should have kept the quota split the same as 2020.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Noorderling29 said:

England and Scotland is the same group, while Olympic qualification is at stake, is a bit strange.

It is, and I'd rather that not have happened. but better that than the men's situation where Europe's champions (England U21) are completely unrepresented at the games. Hockey made it work. Basketball and Rugby sevens couldn't (the latter rather surprisingly since there's a long tradition of Lions rugby every 4 years with home nations co-ordinating) Football situation is complicated by relatively little known Home nations near control of the rules (though not the governance) of football through IFAB - half of eight seats got to four 'home nations', essentially giving UK a veto on rule changes in soccer. Scotland and Wales loathe to put that at risk by agreeing to be GBR for certain purposes.