website statistics

Men's Rugby Sevens Tournament at the European Games 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

• 4 months later...

As I expected the first leg of the European Championships in Algarve this week-end will determine the seeds for the Krakow OQT. 

:ESP :POR :LTU :CZE

:GER :ITA :GEO :ROU

:FRA :BEL :GBR :IRL

Really unfortunate sequence of events for Belgium, who's probably the best up-and coming team of the tournament (having won one of the Challenger Series leg back in April), but suffer the worst draw of the lot. GB and Ireland promoted from Trophy last year, where they were relegated after missing one season of the EC. None of the two managed to qualify for the Games so they will bring full strength in Portugal. Not the case for France though (on the men's side).

Algarve 7s results :

1. :IRL 
  2. :GEO
  3. :FRA
  4. :GBR
  5. :POR
  6. :ESP
  7. :GER
  8. :ITA
  9. :BEL
  10. :LTU
  11. :ROU
  12. :CZE

Ireland look dominant. GB really disappointing, losing two times against Ireland (close calls though) and two times against France Development. As I said in an other topic Georgia was unknown quantity, and they mean business. Strong showing in the playoff games after an anonymous pool stage. 

Disastrous finals for Spain. On the paper they're at least deemed to get a final OQT spot. Germany disappointing once again.

Portugal confirm their dark horse status. Not much to take out for Belgium, like I said the pools were utterly unbalanced, with a strong French B squad all in all.

So pools for Krakow :

:IRL :GER :ITA :POL

:GEO :ESP :BEL :CZE

:GBR :POR :LTU :ROU

Edited by SalamAkhi

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Rafa Maciel said:

Jeez :GBR are struggling in the first half to put :GER away - just 2 points in it at half time. If Germany can keep their heads, they could just sneak this. 

Germany's try should have been a penalty try and a yellow card. Pity they scored despite the deliberate knock-on.

6 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

That was just an embarrassing performance from GB :facepalm:They couldn't even kick the ball off the field to end the game cleanly. 

Harder an harder to look past Ireland - though Germany gave them a run out too - I've ALWAYS thought if the Germans ever really woke up to Rugby, you'd be staring at a super power within a decade or two, the gam,e would just absolutely suit them (same for Russians, as it happens)

Much better looking on disstaff side, and some unlikely team or teams are going to see the final qualifier.

7 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Harder an harder to look past Ireland - though Germany gave them a run out too - I've ALWAYS thought if the Germans ever really woke up to Rugby, you'd be staring at a super power within a decade or two, the gam,e would just absolutely suit them (same for Russians, as it happens)

Much better looking on disstaff side, and some unlikely team or teams are going to see the final qualifier.

Well this looked like a swan song from Germany 7s. They were close to getting to the WS a couple times but now they've gone backwards.