website statistics

Canada National Thread

juddy96

I wasn't born when it actually happened in 1976, but CBC used to show Greg Joy's silver medal jump from Montreal during the anthem when they signed off for the night (I realize this means nothing to some of you children :old: ).  It would be grand if CBC had enough self awareness to reproduce that tonight with Drouin's gold medal jump.  

3 minutes ago, juddy96 said:

Considering we had no athletes that were big favourites for the gold, this is a really good result to have 3 golds. Different judges or a slightly worse touch at the wall and we could have 1 gold

And that's sport.  Even us Olympics geeks, who ever heard of Penny Oleksiak two weeks ago?  Now she's mentioned in the same breath as Donovan Bailey, Clara Hughes and Cindy Klassen.  

Just now, orangeman said:

And that's sport.  Even us Olympics geeks, who ever heard of Penny Oleksiak two weeks ago?  Now she's mentioned in the same breath as Donovan Bailey, Clara Hughes and Cindy Klassen.  

I did, and some swim experts predicted her to make final in some events

Just now, juddy96 said:

I did, and some swim experts predicted her to make final in some events

Well, I mean I read her name so I was familiar.  But never expected what she delivered.  No one predicted what happened in the pool, not even their coaches.  

14 minutes ago, orangeman said:

I got some bad news today (not that bad, everyone's healthy) and I really needed a win.  Thought the soccer girls would deliver, but I'll take this.  This feels good.  Oh, and the whiskey.  

I hope everything ends up all right :)

27 minutes ago, orangeman said:

I mean, I had since she was sort of the star of the trials. But I had not heard much of her before the trials (only heard about her because of Taylor Ruck, who was seen as a bigger potential breakout star a year ago).