website statistics

Canada National Thread

juddy96

18 minutes ago, Surlympics said:

Worth the ten plus medal possibilities we lost throughout the games lol

To me winning this gold medal would be the greatest moment in the history of Canada at the Olympics, even higher than the hockey golds in 2002 and 2010. I'd only rank the Summit Series higher because of the political context and because there isn't a ton of built up animosity between the Canadian and Australian or Swedish teams.

I had a gold medal in a team sport as my biggest dream before these Olympics, and it feels so close now.

4 minutes ago, NearPup said:

To me winning this gold medal would be the greatest moment in the history of Canada at the Olympics, even higher than the hockey golds in 2002 and 2010. I'd only rank the Summit Series higher because of the political context and because there isn't a ton of built up animosity between the Canadian and Australian or Swedish teams.

I had a gold medal in a team sport as my biggest dream before these Olympics, and it feels so close now.

Yes that would be sweet. This team deserves it the most for sure !

30 minutes ago, Surlympics said:

Worth the ten plus medal possibilities we lost throughout the games lol

The emotion I had in 2012 in that game, watching with my sister who was a soccer player (not at that level).  Watching Sinclair dominate and it being robbed by a corrupt ref was so heartbreaking and infuriating.  I was so proud when they turned it around and took the bronze.  

15 minutes ago, NearPup said:

I don't know if it would surpass 2010 hockey (womens and mens) because that was on home soil and our sport.  But this win is already top-5 Canadian Olympic moment.  

Young 'uns here will forget that for years CBC used to play Grey Joy's 1976 silver medal in the high jump to close their daily broadcast (that used to be a thing) for years and years.  It wasn't until the 90s that gold medals got more common, Bailey's 100m gold in 1996 is also top-5 for sure along with the 4x100 gold that same year.  I remember watching in disbelief.