website statistics

Other Multi-Sport Games Discussion Thread

Totallympics

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Dude :p (in b4 "I know how to write it but I am lazy so I'll write extra characters")

World Games 2021 seem pretty likely to be moved, they already don't get much attention and being so close to the Olympics would just be dumb. Both Universiades happening at the planned dates? I don't see it, especially the summer version..

My phone loves to autocorrect Covid to Clovis for some reason. I would guess because Clovis is a town in California, and my phone thinks I’m talking about that :dunno:

I do apologize, I thought I’d caught them all. 

Yeah, I think the World Games might have to move. The current dates would have them ending a week or two before the Olympics probably. Personally I’d for still having next, but just a little further before the Olympics. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Alright, so looking at the new dates for Tokyo2020, there are only three other multi-sports games who now find themselves in direct competition with the Olympics.

One is the Summer EYOF in Slovakia. I don’t see a reason to move this event, it’s for youth athletes anyway. Plus, the EOC don’t make a lot of revenue off the EYOF anyway.

The second event now in trouble is the Jeux De La Francophonie. The current dates are July 23 - August 1. Obviously those will have to change if they want any relevance. There is a TV market for these games, so it would be wise to move them. Personally, I want the games to moved into the window between the Summer Olympics and Summer Paralympics.

The third event in conflict is the World Games. They end on July 25, so I’d just suggest moving them a week forward. 

If we did those changes, we’d have a sweet multi-sports games calendar for 2021. We’d have games essentially every day from early May to early September :clap:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

14 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

One is the Summer EYOF in Slovakia. I don’t see a reason to move this event, it’s for youth athletes anyway. Plus, the EOC don’t make a lot of revenue off the EYOF anyway

already announced they will move it to another date

ITG dropping a lot of (at least to my knowledge) unconfirmed information about the 2021 Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games in this article.

Apparently the dates have been set: April 24 - May 5 (which oddly enough conflicts with the World Combat Games scheduled to take place in Kazakhstan next year, that features some of the same sports (and would probably feature many of the same athletes)). 

Sports Program has also been decided: Bowling, Cue Sports (Billiard Sports), Dancesport, e-Sports, Floorball, Futsal, Indoor Athletics, Muaythai (what a surprise :p), Netball, Sepaktakraw, Short Course Swimming (25m pool), and Taekwondo. I don’t know if this is the final program because the sports program has not yet been officially confirmed by the OCA (at least to my knowledge). 

Oceanian NOCs will be invited to participate once again (I do think this has been confirmed by the OCA). 

7 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

ITG dropping a lot of (at least to my knowledge) unconfirmed information about the 2021 Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games in this article.

Apparently the dates have been set: April 24 - May 5 (which oddly enough conflicts with the World Combat Games scheduled to take place in Kazakhstan next year, that features some of the same sports (and would probably feature many of the same athletes)). 

Sports Program has also been decided: Bowling, Cue Sports (Billiard Sports), Dancesport, e-Sports, Floorball, Futsal, Indoor Athletics, Muaythai (what a surprise :p), Netball, Sepaktakraw, Short Course Swimming (25m pool), and Taekwondo. I don’t know if this is the final program because the sports program has not yet been officially confirmed by the OCA (at least to my knowledge). 

Oceanian NOCs will be invited to participate once again (I do think this has been confirmed by the OCA). 

This would mark netball's debut outside a CWG's. Nice chance for Sri Lanka to win a gold..

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

This would mark netball's debut outside a CWG's. Nice chance for Sri Lanka to win a gold..

If Oceania nations participate then Australia and New Zealand will battle for gold. Even if they don't compete I'd take Fiji/Samoa over anyone from Asia.