website statistics

Medalists at London 2012 not Qualified for Rio 2016

1 minute ago, uk12points said:

Well Baillie is out as well but I am not sure of he still participates, he doesn't compete with Sott anymore as Etienne Stott has a new partner Mark Procter.

Thanks, I'll only include Stott then :)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Am 27.4.2016 um 16:16 schrieb heywoodu:

Slalom canoeing:

Do we already know which Germans will be in Rio, so whether or not Tasiadis/Aigner will be there or not?

Track cycling:

Same question about Förstemann and Levy. I know the German team sprint of course qualified, but how about these specific athletes?

Equestrian:

Is Langehangenberg being out something official yet and if so, is it because she is performing "bad" nowadays or is she retired or something? Asking because if she is retired, I won't put her in the list, but if she is simply performing at a too low level, I will. 

Slamom canoeing:

Tasiadis and Aigner are qualified.

Track cycling:

Förstemann is 99,999% out. Levy has something like a 60% chance to qualify in my opinion. Germany is allowed to send 3 athletes in mens team sprint and those athletes will be allowed to compete in Keirin/Sprint. Levy wasnt part of our mens team sprint squad at the last world championships, so he has to "do something special" to become part of the team, in my opinion he will do it. Enders and Eilers should be safe, but Niederlag was very disappointing at the world championships and Levy reached the final in mens keirin. Levy will qualify 100% if our team sprint squad will be faster with him, otherwise the question will be: Do we want to give away a medal chance in mens team sprint (by including Levy) for getting a medal chance in mens keirin, in my opinion the answer in this case should be no.

Equestrian:

Langehanenberg is out, because she sold her best horse and now she isnt competitive anymore.

Other german medal winners who might/will miss Rio:

Kurt Kuschela (gold in mens C2 1000 m) is 100% out, he ended his career, the same is true for Brink/Reckermann (gold in mens beach volleyball), Ole Bischof (silver in mens -81kg judo), Judith Arndt (silver in womens road cycling time trial), Thomas Lurz (silver in mens open water swimming), Katrin Wagner-Augustin/Carolin Leonhardt (silver in womens K4 500 m), Andreas Tölzer (bronze in mens +100kg judo), Hollstein/Ihle (mens K2 1000m), Helena Fromm (womens -67kg taekwondo).

Britta Heidemann (silver in womens epee) is 100% out, she missed qualification.

Kerstin Thiele (silver in womens -70 kg judo) is 100% out. She got pregnant last year and therefore couldnt collect enough points to qualify. She competed in womens -78kg weight category recently and probably wouldnt have qualified anyway, because Luise Malzahn is much better (7th in world ranking) in the same weight category.

Lilli Schwarzkopf (silver in womens heptathlon) also might miss Rio. I think Rath and Schäfer are clearly better than her, she probably has to fight with Öser for the last spot, the same might be true for Christina Obergföll/Linda Stahl. Stahl, Obergföll, Molitor and Hussong are all pretty much at the same level, but there are only 3 spots.

Björn Otto (silver in mens pole vault) didnt officially retire until now, but i think he wouldnt have a chance to qualify anyway.

Dimitri Peters (bronze in mens -100kg judo) probably will miss Rio. He is 6th in world ranking, but Frey is 3rd in the same weight category and more than 200 points ahead of Peters.

There will also be some medallists in mens hockey, rowing and mens foil fencing who will miss Rio.

I think you didnt want to include retired/team athletes into your list, but you could add Thiele (100% out), Schwarzkopf/Obergföll/Stahl (if they miss qualification), and Otto/Peters (who are very likely to miss Rio).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany_at_the_2012_Summer_Olympics

(All german medallists from 2012 olympic games)

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

3 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

x

Thanks! I'll get to work on updating the list after the weekend. I'm not sure about Otto, mostly because he hasn't even been competing since 2014..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

For Croatia, we didn't qualify in men's quadruple sculls in rowing, after winning silver in London. And we won't qualify there. Though, 3 out of 4 members of that crew have qualified for Rio in different events (single and double sculls). So, technically, David Šain is the only medalist in that crew that has failed to qualify.

#banbestmen

vor 4 Stunden schrieb heywoodu:

Thanks! I'll get to work on updating the list after the weekend. I'm not sure about Otto, mostly because he hasn't even been competing since 2014..

I dont think that Otto will come back, but he "planned" to qualify for Rio and didnt retire until now. I found some older articles from the end of last year, for example this one:

https://www.leichtathletik.de/news/news/detail/bjoern-otto-zwischen-gelassenheit-und-angriffslust/

He wrote on his homepage that he flew to South Africa for a training camp at the end of last year with many other german track and field athletes to prepare for this season.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.