website statistics

Medalists at London 2012 not Qualified for Rio 2016

for Italy:

Boxing: Cammarelle, bronze in Athens, Gold in Beijing and moral Gold in London did retire

Open Water Swimming: Martina Grimaldi (bronze in London) didn't qualify

Judo: Rosalba Forciniti (bronze in the women's -52kg category) is no longer competing in the world class events because of too many injuries

Fencing: Occhiuzzi (individual silver and bronze with the team) must still earn his spot in the men's sabre, where the other team members from London Tarantino (retired) and Samele (not qualified) are already sure to miss the 2016 Games

the same for the men's team foil, which qualified for the Games but it will have at least 1 (maybe 2) new faces (Valerio Aspromonte for sure won't be part of the 2016 campaign)

and someone already wrote about Vezzali and the 4th member of the women's team foil

Men's Archery and Rhytmic Gymnastics: both teams qualified for the Games, but most likely they will have a few new faces among their members (thus meaning that not all the London medallists in those 2 events will be in Rio)

Men's Waterpolo: also in this case, the team is still to earn their spot and in any case it won't be exactly the same of 4 years ago

and finally it's already been written about shooting and taekwondo (where not only Molfetta missed the qualification, but also Sarmiento - bronze in London and silver in Beijing in the men's -80kg - did retire some time ago)

3 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Will we include athletes whose nation decided to pick someone else for that event?

I would say so, because technically they were apparently not good enough to be chosen :p

Although these athletes could get an asterisk at their names or something similar. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, phelps said:

for Italy:

Boxing: Cammarelle, bronze in Athens, Gold in Beijing and moral Gold in London did retire

Open Water Swimming: Martina Grimaldi (bronze in London) didn't qualify

Judo: Rosalba Forciniti (bronze in the women's -52kg category) is no longer competing in the world class events because of too many injuries

Fencing: Occhiuzzi (individual silver and bronze with the team) must still earn his spot in the men's sabre, where the other team members from London Tarantino (retired) and Samele (not qualified) are already sure to miss the 2016 Games

the same for the men's team foil, which qualified for the Games but it will have at least 1 (maybe 2) new faces (Valerio Aspromonte for sure won't be part of the 2016 campaign)

and someone already wrote about Vezzali and the 4th member of the women's team foil

Men's Archery and Rhytmic Gymnastics: both teams qualified for the Games, but most likely they will have a few new faces among their members (thus meaning that not all the London medallists in those 2 events will be in Rio)

Men's Waterpolo: also in this case, the team is still to earn their spot and in any case it won't be exactly the same of 4 years ago

and finally it's already been written about shooting and taekwondo (where not only Molfetta missed the qualification, but also Sarmiento - bronze in London and silver in Beijing in the men's -80kg - did retire some time ago)

As for individual team members, I wouldn't list them I think. Without looking at rosters I'm sure almost every medal winning team of 2012 will have some new names this time. Therefore, for team events I would just look at the nations (like the Romanian women's gymnasts, the mentioned fencing teams, the Russian basketball team or the Japanese football women). 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

And another note (I know, it's hard to make a clear set of rules :p ):

I would not add athletes who are banned, like Zaripova (?) or athletes of nations who are banned, like Russian athletics. It's not like they actually missed out on qualification, they just aren't allowed to participate. 

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

And another note (I know, it's hard to make a clear set of rules :p ):

I would not add athletes who are banned, like Zaripova (?) or athletes of nations who are banned, like Russian athletics. It's not like they actually missed out on qualification, they just aren't allowed to participate. 

So I guess not Asli Cakir and Gamze Bulut :lol:

#banbestmen

22 minutes ago, dcro said:

So I guess not Asli Cakir and Gamze Bulut :lol:

Not really :d 

From Mexico, Mariana Avitia (Bronze, Women's Individual Archery) didn't make it to the team this time. Also Laura Sanchez (Bronze, Women's 3m Springboard) chances are slim, as it will depend if FINA chooses to award the places obtained at World Cup to the divers that obtained them (as independent competitors) or will leave it to the Mexican Federation to decide which divers to send.

for United States:

* Beach Volleyball: Misty May-Treanor has already retired after her competition play in London with her partner Kerri Walsh, whose teamed up currently with April Ross for their Rio 2016 bid.

* Boxing: Olympic bronze medalist Marlene Esparza lost her bid to Virginia Fuchs in the women's flyweight at the Olympic trials.

* Diving: Boudia's synchronized platform partner Nick McCrory retired in March 2015 to pursue medical studies. 

* Gymnastics: Although the U.S. women's artistic gymnastics team already qualified for Rio to defend their title, Olympic silver medalist McKayla Maroney retired just less than six months before the Games. Obviously, the Americans are expected to have a few new faces among their members, including rising star Simona Biles, (thus meaning that not all the London medallists will be in Rio).

* Shooting: Olympic champion Jamie Lynn Gray has already retired, and did not compete since London 2012.

* Taekwondo: Terrence Jennings lost his bid to five-time Olympian Steven Lopez at the Olympic trials.

Any details missing?

Edited by MantaRaymarc