website statistics

Athletics IAAF World Championships 2019

Wumo

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Disrespect the best event in Speed Skating and you’ll be seeing me pop up in Poland pretty soon sir :evil:

I suggest you watch short track if you want to see mass starts. In speed skating it's just boring as hell. Nothing happens until the last lap. FIS wrecked the cross country with 50km mass starts which are downright horrible and mass starts in speed skating are equally repulsive tbh.

Just now, dcro said:

It's redundant. And same gender relays actually do have history behind them.

Every event in swimming after the 100m events are redundant. Team events in Archery and Judo and Table Tennis are redundant. Doubles in Table Tennis, Badminton, and Tennis are redundant. The 200m is redundant.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Monzanator said:

The rich only get richer which is useless. Same thing as mass start in speed skating.

Out of the answers so far, I understand this the most.  It does seem like just another opportunity to give medals to the same countries.  I don't really follow the "no history" answer, because that can be applied to everything new in order to prevent progress and innovation.  I mean, steeplechase has history but is it a natural event?  Are hurdles necessary?  It's just for entertainment, it's not like any of these events have some sort of intrinsic value outside of athleticism.  

Just now, Col_Frost said:

So they're wasting not only place but also a purpose :d 

Kind of like team ski jumping or beach volleyball...

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, orangeman said:

Out of the answers so far, I understand this the most.  It does seem like just another opportunity to give medals to the same countries.  I don't really follow the "no history" answer, because that can be applied to everything new in order to prevent progress and innovation.  I mean, steeplechase has history but is it a natural event?  Are hurdles necessary?  It's just for entertainment, it's not like any of these events have some sort of intrinsic value outside of athleticism.  

110m & 400m hurdles are the BEST track events for me by a country mile. You need both speed & technique and also stamina.

Just now, CestaKago said:

Thanks but as strange as it sounds French is not in the first 3 languages I know, even if Romania is part of Francofonie. :)

And generally performs very well at the Jeux De La Francophonie...

Just now, Grassmarket said:

It is politIcal correctness from the IOC. All of a sudden there must be mixed team events in all sports. Some work well, others are just boring. 

The 4x400m works in my opinion.

Just now, orangeman said:

But where is the innovation in the mixed 4x400m relay?? It's redundant, and in that case already established events clearly have more value.

Plus, top 400m runners are usually busy enough even without this addition...

#banbestmen