website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

4 minutes ago, Noorderling29 said:

Like the World Cup, let’s have 32 participants, then everybody can join

Cricket world cup did the opposite. They got tired of the little countries causing shocks so made it harder for them to qualify

13 minutes ago, dodge said:

Cricket world cup did the opposite. They got tired of the little countries causing shocks so made it harder for them to qualify

Ireland's fault for beating Pakistan and robbing the world of an India-Pakistan showdown ;)

2 hours ago, Dragon said:

I've gone for this.

#1 Hosts (Providing they meet a certain standard, maybe top 30 in the world?)

#2 World Champions

#3 Winners of Asian qualifying tournament

#4 Winners of Oceanian qualifier

#5 Winners of joint Euro-Africa qualifier

#6 Winners of Pan-American qualifier

#7 and #8 Finalists in last chance global qualifier

You can always go the "Artistic Swimming" route and the Host also takes it's continents quota.

And you have 3 places for the last world qualifier

2 hours ago, Roamingrover86 said:

That is an excellent distribution of quota places except I would add 1 more quota place to Asia and reduce 1 from last chance global qualifier . :yes

I'll explain why I chose my method.

Basically it would mean every country would have three opportunities for Olympic places.

If the Olympics were being held this year then in your scenario :ENG / :GBR would qualify as world champions, :PAK and :SRI would qualify through the 2022 Asia Cup. There is no Oceania Cup but :NZL are higher in the world rankings than :AUS so we would have a scenario where India and Australia would play off for one final Olympic place.

T20 is always unpredictable and most matches are close. A lower ranked team could easily defeat a higher ranked side. With possibly 8 quota places on offer, it won’t guarantee any of the top sides a place and each will need to earn their places. I wont be surprised if one of the big teams fail to qualify and one of the smaller cricketing nation makes it. 
I get er reason for having multiple quota places available at the final qualifying but then again it still doesn’t guarantee :IND / :AUS or both . Could easily be :PAK / :BAN or even :BAR / :JAM / :ZIM taking their places. 
Another way could be as suggested before , let the host take the quota of that confederation and that will free up an additional quota place at the final qualifier. 

3 hours ago, Roamingrover86 said:

T20 is always unpredictable and most matches are close. A lower ranked team could easily defeat a higher ranked side. With possibly 8 quota places on offer, it won’t guarantee any of the top sides a place and each will need to earn their places. I wont be surprised if one of the big teams fail to qualify and one of the smaller cricketing nation makes it. 
I get er reason for having multiple quota places available at the final qualifying but then again it still doesn’t guarantee :IND / :AUS or both . Could easily be :PAK / :BAN or even :BAR / :JAM / :ZIM taking their places. 
Another way could be as suggested before , let the host take the quota of that confederation and that will free up an additional quota place at the final qualifier. 

You don't know the might of BCCI, India will qualify somehow 😜

7 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

Yes that would be conservative as the rights for a cricket world cup would be 500 million dollars .... so if it is somewhat equally popular I would say at least  300 million more  ,.now figure that you get at least 20% of that in Bangladesh , Pakistan and sreelanka ....  less of an impact in other countries but again South Africa or Zimbabwe would go up as well 

Wait, what? India will pay 300 million for 10-15 games of cricket and practically not care for anything else? 

3 hours ago, Federer91 said:

Wait, what? India will pay 300 million for 10-15 games of cricket and practically not care for anything else? 

There are about 1.4 billion Indians - that's 3 full europes -, more than china, a majority of which are fanatical about one non-Olympic sport - and I mean fanatical (my sister in laws family are of indian extraction, it's fabulous). Pakistan and Bangladesh are also huge, and cricket crazy. Pakistan and Indian Olympic interest historically was pretty much limited to hockey.

The BCCI will be sniffy about Olympic cricket because they won't control it, and can't make mega bucks off it - but the general - and huge - indian public will eat that shit up, day and daily. There are fanatical baseball nations, but nothing like the IOC gamechanger that cricket is because it cracks that near last frontier - while tying in big Olympic standard nations like GBR, AUS, RSA and JAM - If you think about it, there's one major member in each continent, the international sport is the front face of the sport.