website statistics

Snowboard at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

12 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

For British winter Olympians there is not really any other source of funding through. The mini golden era of GB winning medals on snow might be over. 

Sad for them but, as I said, I prefer these funding systems to not be very successful - I prefer NOCs (or whoever distribute funds) that give broad support to athletes in a wide range of sports, and don't consider only (very) short terms medals won.

25 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Sad for them but, as I said, I prefer these funding systems to not be very successful - I prefer NOCs (or whoever distribute funds) that give broad support to athletes in a wide range of sports, and don't consider only (very) short terms medals won.

In the Uk funding comes from the National Lottery. They not quite as medal focused as before but still a target of 3-7 would be expected to be reached. There was a lot of coverage four years ago about how good team gb would be in Bejing and it hasn’t turned out that way.

Who the hell is Meryeta Odine? I guess not only eastern european/chinese athletes come out of nowhere to win olympic medals ...

Edit: Her best results this season were 4th and 10th ...

Canada is having an insane conversion rates when it comes to medal chances. Even their shitty athletes somehow win medals.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 hours ago, Orangehair43 said:

In the Uk funding comes from the National Lottery. They not quite as medal focused as before but still a target of 3-7 would be expected to be reached. There was a lot of coverage four years ago about how good team gb would be in Bejing and it hasn’t turned out that way.

I think the COVID pandemic has hit British athletes, especially in the snow sports, a lot more than other countries - travel restrictions have severely limited their ability to train over the last few years, compared to athletes from countries with natural snow & mountains.

Nonetheless, Britain's current performances are very disappointing considering their strong World Cup results in the last 4-year cycle. I think the Summer Olympic approach of channeling funding to a smaller number of sports that deliver only during the Olympics isn't as effective for the Winter Games, when there are far more external factors at play that can affect performance. If Britain wants to consistently win 5+ medals at the Winter Olympics, it needs to develop a large base of talent across multiple sports.

For example, what's happened to our figure skating & short track programmes - two sports where we actually have the facilities to practice in the UK? Why were the bobsleigh teams stripped of funding after PyeongChang, when now they're probably our best shot at a medal for these games?

I'm hoping UK Sport won't be too strict about the medal targets for these games and won't cut funding too much heading into 2026. We have plenty of good talents - Kirsty Muir in freestyle, Mia Brookes in snowboard, a really good and developing alpine team - and would hate for them to lose out.