website statistics

Weightlifting Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

If you have thinking, that it's been a year without scandals in Bulgarian weightlifting, fear no more.. :d:rolleyes:

So, after a couple of attempts, including one stripped hosting 2 years ago, we are finally going to host the European Weightlifting Championships in February. It is of course included in the Olympic qualification calendar. All good so far.

But on Friday, an adviser working for the Ministry of Sports was arrested for bribing the President of the weightlifting federation. He was asking for 30 k Euros from the President, so that the Ministry approves the funding of 600 k Euros for hosting the Euro Championships. This worker turned out to be the son of the National team coach. The next day, the coach himself - Ivan Ivanov, Olympic Champion 92, 4 times World Champion, was also arrested in suspicion of being an accomplice to his son..

The same National coach who has been on the helm for over a decade now and who the Federation have tried removing a few times in the past years. But every time the proposal of a new coach was brought up, almost all of the weightlifters, including Karlos Nasar, have said that they would boycott the National team, if Ivanov was not the coach. 

Given, that we have our biggest boom in the past 20 years, i'm not denying the work being done by Ivanov, but his relationship with the Federation was always very iffy. Not that those guys are some saints, not by any means, but you can never guess who's in the right. Let's see how things develop and if any charged will be pressed against him.

On 12/17/2023 at 8:01 PM, Federer91 said:

If you have thinking, that it's been a year without scandals in Bulgarian weightlifting, fear no more.. :d:rolleyes:

So, after a couple of attempts, including one stripped hosting 2 years ago, we are finally going to host the European Weightlifting Championships in February. It is of course included in the Olympic qualification calendar. All good so far.

But on Friday, an adviser working for the Ministry of Sports was arrested for bribing the President of the weightlifting federation. He was asking for 30 k Euros from the President, so that the Ministry approves the funding of 600 k Euros for hosting the Euro Championships. This worker turned out to be the son of the National team coach. The next day, the coach himself - Ivan Ivanov, Olympic Champion 92, 4 times World Champion, was also arrested in suspicion of being an accomplice to his son..

The same National coach who has been on the helm for over a decade now and who the Federation have tried removing a few times in the past years. But every time the proposal of a new coach was brought up, almost all of the weightlifters, including Karlos Nasar, have said that they would boycott the National team, if Ivanov was not the coach. 

Given, that we have our biggest boom in the past 20 years, i'm not denying the work being done by Ivanov, but his relationship with the Federation was always very iffy. Not that those guys are some saints, not by any means, but you can never guess who's in the right. Let's see how things develop and if any charged will be pressed against him.

I don't know if it's more appropriate this :lol: or that :cry:

:mumble:

I mean, when people get in trouble it's never a good thing, but reading the equation 'Bulgarian weightlifting = scandals' makes me laugh because it happens so often that's like saying 'water is wet', more or less :facepalm:

Edited by phelps

• 1 month later...

IWF will probably update its website with Asian and African Championship results after few days (or weeks) lots of World Records had been broken by PRK weightlifters:d, also Rahmat Erwin did great and broke the WR once again. 

but from what I can see there are not much changes in the Olympic ranking. in the women's side :KOR Kim Su-hyeon made a big move into top ten (Women's 81kg) by 254kg record yesterday

but today in men's 102kg we had a new sheriff in town. :UZB Akbar Djuraev made his debut at 102kg and moved up to the 3rd place in the ranking by a 400kg record.

he is a very good weightlifter, an Olympic Champion but a year ago he participated at the Asian Champs weighted almost 130kg. hard to imagine he can cut 30kg "normally" :yikes: and still lifts great. it will be interesting to learn what they eat in Uzbekistan :d

Edited by MHSN

7 minutes ago, MHSN said:

IWF will probably update its website with Asian and African Championship results after few days (or weeks) lots of World Records had been broken by PRK weightlifters:d, also Rahmat Erwin did great and broke the WR once again. 

but from what I can see there are not much changes in the Olympic ranking. in the women's side :KOR Kim Su-hyeon made a big move into top ten (Women's 81kg) by 254kg record yesterday

but today in men's 102kg we had a new sheriff in town. :UZB Akbar Djuraev made his debut at 102kg and moved up to the 3rd place in the ranking by a 400kg record.

he is a very good weightlifter, an Olympic Champion but a year ago he participated at the Asian Champs weighted almost 130kg. hard to imagine he can cut 30kg "normally" :yikes: and still lifts great. it will be interesting to learn what they eat in Uzbekistan :d

Probably same "food" as Maiya Maneza did. :lol:

22 hours ago, MHSN said:

(...)

oh, man!

I definitely need to meet his dietologist!

'cause I don't need to lift great weights (couple of shopping bags are enough), but I definitely need to cut 30/40kg "normally" :roflmao: :facepalm:

taking a look at the African Champs results. I can see only one change in the Olympic ranking top 10

AboKahla (EGY/89kg) moved up to #6 by lifting 381kg. he was already in top 10 though. 

https://iwf.sport/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2024/02/Final-results-egypt-pdf.pdf