website statistics

Athletics Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

8 hours ago, Josh said:

Anyone know if :FRA Mayer’s injury will make him miss the Olympics or not? (fingers crossed it won’t)

Today's ITW translated with Deepl. Make it what you want.

Spoiler

You've only got three weeks left before the start of the decathlon at the Games...

I'm not going to hide the fact that, given the seriousness of the injury, it's going to be very, very, very difficult. I can't spend my whole life wondering whether it's going to pass or not. I'm trying to put out the best possible vibes. I know that when you're positive, when you have the right thoughts, it heals faster. I feel strong and determined to make it, knowing that I have almost no chance. It's too weird an emotion. I cried for two days, but since then nothing. I'm back to my old self and I'm working like crazy.

I have no regrets [about running on Sunday]. At the Europeans, I could afford to run a restrained race (in 14'29). But at a certain point, I increased the intensity crescendo, without any pain. I needed a run before doing a race on the second day of the decathlon, at 9.30 in the morning. So if it went off there, it would have gone off at the Games, that's for sure.

You say you've received a lot of messages of support, does that give you a boost?

It made me realize that not only did I have a golden entourage, but that the public, even the general public, was looking out for me. I know I'm sounding a bit old-fashioned here, but these days, it's rare to find empathy and kindness on social networks. So I was very touched. I don't have the right to give up now, no matter how serious my injury is, no matter what happens in the next few days. Up until one minute before my 100-meter race, I'm going to do whatever it takes to be able to do that 100-meter race. And then I'll do what it takes to do the long run. And I'll go as far as I can go. But it was a dream to be at the Stade de France.

Knowing you, we think you're the type to die on stage, that you'll go all the way. Is it possible to imagine a package deal beforehand?

That's for the medical profession to decide, based on the MRIs. If they decide that it's really too dangerous to go ahead and that it could make things worse... It's not the end. I don't want to stop after 2024. When there's no chance of it passing, it's a decathlon, you can't go in half-heartedly. Even the injury itself, I'm a bit vague about it because I really don't want there to be any discussions about whether it's possible or not, from people who aren't in my entourage. It's not up to other people to decide whether I can do it or not. It doesn't matter how serious it is. We all have different bodies, we all have different tools to get there, and we all know very well that I've faced a lot in my career and managed to get back up. We never thought we'd set foot on the moon. Right now, it's not such a huge feat, it's pretty much just me, but I'll admit it's also a bit desperate.

13 hours ago, bestmen said:

Just to note that the world athletics list include all reserves and APs including non-travelling reserves 

How many athletes you can sign up for the relay event? I remember US 4x400m relay had 7 athletes in Tokyo who were signed up and all received the gold medal. Does this rule remain the same or they have cut the amount of athletes who can enter the relay? 

2 hours ago, Jan Linha said:

How many athletes you can sign up for the relay event? I remember US 4x400m relay had 7 athletes in Tokyo who were signed up and all received the gold medal. Does this rule remain the same or they have cut the amount of athletes who can enter the relay? 

It’s officially 5 per gendered relay but they must include those who qualified individual event (ie 100 or 400) 

The mixed allows 2 men and 2 women (no restrictions) 

So countries qualified in (say) women’s and mixed can name 7 in their relay squads. Ireland has done this 

It appeared last week that NOCs were contacted to say it would be only 4 instead of 5 for the gendered ones but a lot of countries have named 7 now so…

1 minute ago, dodge said:

It’s officially 5 per gendered relay but they must include those who qualified individual event (ie 100 or 400) 

The mixed allows 2 men and 2 women (no restrictions) 

So countries qualified in (say) women’s and mixed can name 7 in their relay squads. Ireland has done this 

It appeared last week that NOCs were contacted to say it would be only 4 instead of 5 for the gendered ones but a lot of countries have named 7 now so…

5 (including those entered in the specific individual event) + those who are already entered in other events, relays individual (200m, 400 hurdles) can be added, so many countries can reach 7 or even more.