website statistics
Men's Cricket ICC T20 World Cup 2022
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Noorderling29 said:

My post was based in the mistaken assumption that two teams would qualify

Two will qualify. If Namibia beat UAE as they should they are guaranteed a spot as they can't be overtaken by both the other two challengers. SL and the Netherlands will then be in a battle for the second spot. The Netherlands win and they're through. If not it comes down to run rate. We'll have a better idea of what the Netherlands needs to do after the SL v UAE game. If Netherlands maintains a run rate advantage after that then a narrowish defeat against SL might still be enough.

Mind you the Netherlands will also qualify if Namibia lose to UAE but they won't want to rely on that happening.

Edited by Nickyc707

Posted
46 minutes ago, Noorderling29 said:

Again a Dutch victory, after batting second. A small defeat against Sri Lanka in the third match should suffice.

As I suggested yesterday its looking like a three way tie between :NAM :SRI and :NED unless the Dutch beat Sri Lanka in their last group match. I'm certain Namibia will have a better run rate than the Netherlands so I'd make them favourites to qualify. As for Sri Lanka and the Netherlands the latter have a clear advantage at the moment but that's likely to close, perhaps even be eradicated if the Sri Lankans have a big win later on against :UAE. Ironically that game is potentially crucial to Dutch chances of qualifying if they don't beat SL themselves.

Posted
14 minutes ago, Noorderling29 said:

The Dutch team batted second. 

They were the only ones who successfully chased a total but they were up against arguably the weakest team. In the other three games the team batting second came up well short.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Results so far in the preliminary groups

:NED beat :UAE 

:NAM create a big shock by beating :SRI 

and the biggest shock comes when :SCO defeat the 2012 and 2016 champions :WIS 

It won't be easy for either :SRI or :WIS to qualify now. Even if Sri Lanka win their two remaining first round group games a win for the Netherlands over Namibia would likely mean it comes down to run rates. The West Indies have lost what on paper was their easiest game and both Zimbabwe and Ireland are capable of putting them out now. It would be really something if two former winners went out at this stage.

Cricket Discussion Thread
Posted
7 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Coming under Indian Olympic Association, whereabouts clause of WADA and general disinterest. Let alone Olympics, we sent a B team to the CWG 1998 and didn’t even send a team at last Asian games. 

As I have said in past as well, ICC (in reality BCCI, ECB and CA) need to show intent before any talk of Cricket in Olympics gains momentum. Let them add Cricket to CWG. Let the top players take part in CWG and Asian Games, then and only then they should talk about inclusion in Olympics. 

Logistically speaking, with the use of drop-in pitches, a T20 tournament of 8 teams is feasible and not very costly. It brings new audiences and potential medallists from South Asia and Caribbean but there are other sports which are better integrated with Multi-Sports Games. 

I had wondered how Sachin Tendulkar, Anil Kumble, VVS Laxman and Harbhajan Singh got into that side in 1998!  ?

Agreed they need to show intent and on the surface it sounds like they are finally singing from the same hymn sheet but we shall see. Certainly it would benefit the wider game but the most powerful nations are not known for their lack of selfishness.

Posted
12 hours ago, NaBUru38 said:

"Thirty-million cricket fans live in the USA"

That's obviously not even remotely true.

No idea where they got those figures from but with more than ten million immigrants from cricket playing countries in the Caribbean and South Asia there is a significant base particularly in the big cities like New York. There are now more than 6,000 teams playing across the US and the country is the second biggest source of clicks on cricket websites after India.

Posted
12 hours ago, Siddhartha Talukdar said:

Thats because of Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)'s intervention. Under Olympic rules, all national sports federation need to report to the respective country's Olympic association. But BCCI is autonomous and doesn't come under Indian Olympic Association. Most of the cricket revenue comes from India and hence they control International Cricket Council (ICC) as well.

Actually control falls more within a triumvirate of India, England and Australia and nothing much happens unless they all agree.

Posted
12 hours ago, intoronto said:

Do they really think La2028 would select it over baseball ?

I don't think either will make it unless the IOC decides to expand the quota limit or drop another team sport, both if which looks unlikely 

I agree pushing for inclusion in Brisbane would make much more sense. In the longer term I think giving the IOC access to the huge South Asian market is a significant advantage for the sport which will strengthen its case for inclusion at some stage.

Posted
13 hours ago, George_D said:

both cricket and baseball/softball??

In the longer term cricket is going to be much more attractive to the IOC as it offers the prospect of a much greater global audience and in particular access to South Asia but LA does seem an illogical choice to push for the sport's introduction. Brisbane would seem to make far more sense.

Posted
13 hours ago, NearPup said:

It honestly amazed me it took so long for the ICC to internally agree that trying to get T20 in the Olympics was a good idea...

England's opposition was due to the Olympics falling in the middle of the English cricket season with the disruption this would cause. I'm not sure what India's objections were.

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Thibau Nys, yes, obviously Sven's son, won the world junior title after finishing 4th last year. It was a full Belgian sweep with Lennert Belmans en Emiel Verstrynge some way behind him. 

There's a pattern emerging in this race with one country sweeping the medals every three years. The French in 2011, the Belgians in 2014, the British in 2017 and now the Belgians again in 2020.

Men's Rugby WR World Cup 2019
Posted
3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Í'm just hoping Wales wins and it's pretty simple: South Africa already were world champions, Wales never reached the final, I'd find it awesome to see a new team in the final.

Wales have won the last four meetings between the two sides so I think you can be reasonably optimistic.

Posted
2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Hence the “with the exception :evil:”. I just like France, and I think it’s cool that Georgia has a semi-decent team. I actually generally cheer for the British, but in commonwealth sports I cheer for other nations. Also, compare me to Donald Trump again, and I’ll show you a Brexit :p

My apologies I misunderstood your meaning. I thought you meant that France and Georgia were southern nations whom you could not support. My reply was driven by the unpleasant and offensive tone of your own hence my reference to Trump.

Posted
11 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

And like a proper American I support the Southern teams (with the exception of Georgia and France) because fuck the British :p

I understand the feeling. I always support the US's opponents in any sporting contest. Like Donald Trump your knowledge of other countries is impressive. I had no idea France and Georgia were in the "south".

Posted
11 hours ago, heywoodu said:

So north thinks they rule it all and south thinks only they play it right. 

Right, sure :d

Our friend from Argentina has a short memory. For years the other rugby countries in the south - in particular NZ - could hardly be bothered to play the Pumas let alone let them play in the Rugby Championship. It was the European countries who actually gave them much more support in terms of reciprocal tours to keep the sport alive and growing in Argentina. He also decries wealthy European clubs but it was their money that allowed Argentina's best players to become professionals in the modern era and undoubtedly improve their fitness and skill standards. Once the Argentinian rugby authorities dropped their ban on players based in Europe we saw a rise in the level of the Pumas' performances in test rugby. 

Posted
3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

There's even a hemisphere rivalry? As in, someone from one side of the southern hemisphere would still be sort of cheering for a team from the southern hemisphere even if it's literally on the other side of the world? :d 

Yes, the southern hemisphere rugby countries tend to think they are the only ones who can play the game properly and often belittle the game as played in the northern hemisphere. An all northern hemisphere final will be a real shock to the system for the southern hemisphere countries and lead to a lot of soul searching.

Posted
3 hours ago, OlympicIRL said:

It should be, Wales are always good value for money when it comes to big games. But I think South Africa will just have enough for them.

I think South Africa's defence is the only thing that could stand between England and winning the title.

Wales I don't think have any chance of beating this England team but South Africa could be a very tricky prospect for England.... but I will always support my Celtic brethren, so good luck tomorrow Wales :WAL:cheer:

I have a sneaking suspicion this Welsh side will do it. It would be great to have the first ever northern hemisphere final and a real boost for the Six Nations.