website statistics
Women's Basketball FIBA Olympic Qualification Tournaments 2024
Posted (edited) · Deleted by Sindo on 02/25/2024 - will be permanently removed on 02/24/2026
Deleted by Sindo on 02/25/2024 - will be permanently removed on 02/24/2026
22 minutes ago, Mr. Cam said:

https://www.fiba.basketball/eurobasket/2025/qualifiers/news/game-report-bulgaria-germany

Turning point: It seemed it would be a one way street when Gordie Herbert's men opened up a 19-4 lead to

start the game. However, Rosen Tsvetkov Barchovski had other ideas, and his team talks after quarters one

and three were key in this one.

The team reacted, holding Germany to 8 points in the second stanza, and winning the final one by 11 points.

When it was needed the most, Bulgaria's Codi Miller-McIntyre had ice in his veins, putting two possessions

between the teams on consecutive offenses in the final minute.

Bulgaria's best player for THIS upset? Codi MILLER-MCINTYRE - An AMERICAN!!!

Game hero: Miller-McIntyre is already a fan favorite in Bulgaria. One would assume it couldn't get any better

after his 21-point debut versus Sweden, but one would've been wrong because Codi took it up a notch against

the champions of the world. He finished with 23 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assists, giving him efficiency 21, and

Bulgaria were a +12 team with him on the floor.

Stats don't lie: Germany had 21 turnovers, paving the way for Bulgaria to win points from turnovers 27-13.

Final score 67-62.

Germany's LOWEST score in the 2023 FIBA World Cup was 81.

FIBA Ranking

3. Germany 759.7

45. Bulgaria   270.8

Based on this result and this:  It was reported by the Wings six hours ago that Satou Sabally under-

went a “shoulder procedure” and there is no timeline for her return. The question I have: Who will

CRASH out of the 2024 Olympic Basketball Tournament first, the German National Men's or Women's

Basketball Team???

Without Satou Sabally the German National Women's Basketball Team is ROADKILL!!! The German

National Women's Basketball Team does not have ANY roster depth.

1) You realize that Germany played without pretty much all world champions and without guys like Hartenstein or Kleber?

2) The women qualified for the OQT without the Sabally sisters. Sabally played with one hand against Brazil (she suffered the injury during the first half in the first game against Serbia) and Germany still won. No one expects the German women to win a medal, but they are still far from being the worst team at the Olympics.

3) Your obsession with German basketball is pathetic and your use of words like „roadkill“ is disgusting. 

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Women's Basketball FIBA Olympic Qualification Tournaments 2024
Posted · Deleted by Sindo on 02/13/2024 - will be permanently removed on 02/12/2026
Deleted by Sindo on 02/13/2024 - will be permanently removed on 02/12/2026
2 hours ago, Mr. Cam said:

Did Germany waste an opportunity in the 1936 Olympics?

I can't stop you from wasting your life in this forum with trolling, but could you maybe at least try to format your comments in a way that people can read them? Did you connect a typewriter to a screen or why are your comments all over the place?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

3 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

:SRB Qualified ?

Ok

4 hours ago, NearPup said:

Funny thing for a German to say to a Hungarian

You mean because of 1954? More recently the hungarian team has usually been better than the sum of it parts and has often managed not to lose against teams that were much better on paper.

Edited by OlympicsFan

4 minutes ago, Vektor said:

That's Hungarian team sports for you in a nutshell outside of water polo. 

What about men's football? I think you usually overperform there.

1 minute ago, Fran-UDA said:

Hello friend, what were you saying? 

Congratulations, i always knew that Spain would turn it around! :whistle:

A lot of people (myself included) have to go back and delete their comments in this thread, otherwise they will look foolish ...

Really weird turn of events, i still think it would have been smarter for Spain to eliminate Canada. Either Hungary massively choked or Spain knew from the beginning that they could turn this around whenever they wanted.

If Hungary throws away this chance ...

41 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

I find it dishonest to deprive athletes in this way, :FRA played its 3 matches seriously!!

Dishonest? Don't think that it makes sense to use that word in this situation. I think you could call it "unsports(wo)manlike". I think France had a much easier group, so you probably wouldn't even have noticed if they would have played at 80 %. I also think that Canada has more potential than Hungary, so from a spanish perspective it was smart to eliminate Canada from the olympics. Of course Spain won't be "allowed" to complain if Canada does the same to them in the future, but i guess the odds of Canada ever getting in such a position are rather small, so Spain obviously thought that it was "worth the risk".

Canada lost 2 out of 3 games, they can't complain. I think Australia might/will do the same against Serbia.

What happens if Brazil wins by 7 against Germany?

I think that Brazil will win against Germany, but not sure by how much. Germany not qualifying would be a huge blow, given that they could have won by 15-20 points against Serbia and probably have more upside for Paris (given the age of their best players) than many other teams.

Edit: Don't see Serbia beating Australia, but we will see.

Edited by OlympicsFan

2 hours ago, ChandlerMne said:

I am to old to do that staff. Plus, i dont mind losing games as i used to, to use anything like that. Its simple, worse team loses and thats it.

Brazil lost 5 points vs Australia, same team that destroyed Germany, who easily won over Serbia. 

Brazil played better, thats it.

That trick, as you call it, is universal, not "in some parts of the world", btw. 

You have to keep in mind that Germany played without their 2 best players against Australia and that even before the start of the tournament the plan was to save energy against Australia in order to be fully fit for the match against Brazil.

Men's Basketball NBA 2023 - 2024
Posted

He is a must-watch from day 1. Not sure when/if we ever saw a player like him. LeBron and Curry were/are somewhat similar. I think most people are more excited about watching him than about watching Giannis/Jokic/Doncic/Zion. There probably aren't (m)any athletes in other sports who are this exciting right now. It seems actually possible for him to become an all-star and maybe even DPOY this season already. I can't wait to see him against the american team in Paris next year.

Men's Basketball FIBA World Cup 2023
Posted

Interesting that the serbian coach is Svetislav Pesic, who coached Germany at the 1993 european championships, when they won their only international gold medal ever. :thumbup:

Posted

Are the canadians in here who complain about potentially finishing 4th actually serious or are they trolling?

Canada just had one of the most absurd streaks of luck at the athletics world championships, winning 4 golds out of nowhere and now they are almost instantly back to whining how unlucky they are always finishing 4th? :mirror:

Posted

Posted

So after all the discussion whether the US or Canada would be the favorite going into this tournament we get a Serbia vs. Germany final. Almost looks too scripted to be true ...

Posted
44 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

So Germany dedicated their full sporting force to become a basketball super power. :) Maybe this explains the decline in 15 other sports.

Has to be super tough for you seeing the US getting thrashed by Germany in basketball of all sports. Of course the success in basketball has nothing to do with the decline in other sports, but i am sure that you weren't interested in a serious discussion and just wanted to give a backhanded compliment, so nevermind ... ;)

Posted
3 hours ago, EselTheDonkey said:

While that's true, the women, in spite of being qualified, still play at the Qualification Tournament. So I can see, how OlympicFan got the idea, that the men can take part at the Qualifier as well. Even if they don't. It's a very odd rule by the FIBA.

Thanks for clarifying! Weird rule indeed. Still don't see how teams that are already qualified can be allowed to interfer with the qualification of other teams. If the french women feel that team A would be an easier opponent for them at the olympics than team B, they can lose against team A and win against team B to make it more difficult for team B to qualify.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, nenad said:

When I wrote it, Slovenia was playing a tied game. You are just so much misinormed for a person trying it's best to be so smug. 

Some people are more open to learn new things than others. I had no problem admitting that i was "misinormed" when it came to whether Turkey would be able to participate at the OQT or not, but obviously not everyone has that level of maturity. Too bad that you didn't feel like displaying the tremendous amount of "information" you have in the prediction contest. Maybe next time you will put your money where your mouth is?

Edited by OlympicsFan

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, George_D said:

France has already qualified for Olympics as a host

I know ...

My point was that they (as far as i know) can still participate in the OQT and therefore could potentially eliminate a team like Latvia, but maybe i was misinformed.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Posted

Spain is my clear favorite for the OQT. I also like the chance of Lithuania, if everyone plays. Greece will probably be the 3rd favorite if everyone plays.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, nenad said:

Latvia is not a weak team, they may look weak on paper but they played a great tournament, had some big wins without 2 very very important players and they were one shot away from the semifinals. So, that's not a fluke, they're fantasticaly coached and played great basketball. 

For starters they are in a far better position to be ahead of France and Turkey in OQT next year, because France is already qualified and Turkey didn't qualify for OQT. And beside that all those other teams except maybe Spain don't have roster better than Latvia. Greece, Italy, Lithuania haven't showed nothing at this tournament to show that they're better than Latvia. 

Also, Slovenia could still qualify at this WC. 

Latvia is a weak team. They got thrashed by Canada and in most of their matches against the other good teams they were down by 10+ points and only came back because those teams took it easy. Germany tried to lose today (only explanation for why Schröder was allowed to be a -20 and go 4/26) and Latvia still couldn't win. Too bad that Turkey won't participate, but France can participate, so of course Latvia could finish lower than France. I didn't say that France will qualify over them. Lithuania (if everyone plays), Slovenia, Spain, Greece (if everyone plays) and possibly Italy all have stronger teams. You probably missed it, but Slovenia is already out (which of course was completely expected).

Edited by OlympicsFan

Posted (edited)

Huge wasted chance for Latvia. Don't really see how such a weak team will finish ahead of Spain/Italy/Greece/Slovenia/France/Turkey/Lithuania next year.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Posted (edited)

You have to feel for Schröder and the german coach. They would have probably become billionaires if Latvia would have won this game. The only logical explanation for this game is that both Schröder and the german coach bet all their money on a latvian win. Schröder went 4/26 from the field and had a +/- of -20, but for some reason the coach kept playing him. Schröder played 30 minutes, no other german guy played more than 24 minutes. I really don't see how Schröder and the german coach didn't bet on a latvian win. Whenever Germany was up by 10+ points, the german coach brought Schröder back in to completely kill the momentum.

Edited by OlympicsFan