website statistics
Athletics IAAF World Championships 2019
Posted
Just now, Monzanator said:

Pyeongchang courses were horrible already. They botched the artificial snow conditions too when it was freezing mad out there. Beijing games will be flat course, plus temps & artificial snow. This will be the worst one yet IMO!

I liked the the Pyeongchang downhill, the only problem was the wind :(

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted

It's down to money. China can buy every God damn Olympics if they want to and were allowed to. Hell, Doha would host WOG if they could ship snow to the Gulf!

I can't possibly wait how horrible the Olympic downhill course will be in Beijing.

We don’t know that it will be bad yet (but it probably will be)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted

What strategy? It's 49 km of hanging back in the pack and 1 km sprint. That's all. I'm sorry but you really haven't watched any 50km time trial events in your life?

50km ain't a monster tbh. Have you heard of the Vasaloppet for instance?

Obviously you haven’t watched the Olympic or World Championship 50kms if you think that’s how they go...

Vasaloppet cool too :cool:

Posted
Just now, orangeman said:

I feel like "politically correct" is just a term to be thrown at anything people don't like.

You’re my new best friend :yes

Posted

Another TV bullshit, city events with 20 secs. courses. Thanks, I'll pass, It's bad enough Olympic downhill tracks are flat as hell because they award the WOG to some non-traditional venues. I miss the Lillehammer atmosphere with real fans, real courses and Olympic spirit.

Right, but when 3/4ths of the world can only ever watch a sport on TV, you have to innovate.

Posted
Just now, dcro said:

Except that it isn't. Everyone has already figured out the most beneficial order M-W-W-M (except Japan).

Good in both genders? It's just rich getting richer again.

That might be the current strategy, but sometimes, as Nike says, you have to risk everything to achieve greatness. There are so, so many events where the rich get richer. I really don’t see a problem with this one.

Posted
Just now, dcro said:

That comparison makes no sense whatsoever. We very often have different winners on different distances, what clearly suggests that you need different skills...

Just like in the Mixed 4x400m

Posted

You haven't followed cross country a lot? Most cc skiing fans I know absolutely HATE the mass start. It's just for TV purpose because the interval race lasted longer and TV rules everything these days. 50km mass start must be one of the worst ideas ever.

That be like saying the only good part of the Tour De France is the time trials...

The 50km is monster. Only athletes with the best fitness and best strategy can win. It’s a true test of Skiing ability.

Posted

Yeah, just like in alpine skiing team event, back-ups and people without a chance for individual medal actually make the team. Just check some of the :AUT and :SUI line-ups. Even Marcel Hirscher didn't bother to show up for the team event to win an easy medal :lol:

The team event is super exciting though, just like the Mixed 4x400m relay.

Posted
Just now, bestmen said:

That was my prediction 

1 price 

2 fiodorow 

3 berry , i dont what happened with her 

Berry couldn’t get the hammer out of the box. She just couldn’t produce results tonight.

Posted
Just now, dcro said:

But where is the innovation in the mixed 4x400m relay?? It's redundant, and in that case already established events clearly have more value.

Plus, top 400m runners are usually busy enough even without this addition...

The innovation is the strategic options. It also forces countries to be good in both genders. Plus, we still need all the basic requirements of running a good 400m

Posted

I suggest you watch short track if you want to see mass starts. In speed skating it's just boring as hell. Nothing happens until the last lap. FIS wrecked the cross country with 50km mass starts which are downright horrible and mass starts in speed skating are equally repulsive tbh.

Except they are truly different events and add to the program. The Mass Start does need to be reworked a bit though I admit. Cross Country Mass Start is awesome.

I hate the disrespect distance athletes (like myself) get on a constant basis.

Posted
Just now, Grassmarket said:

It is politIcal correctness from the IOC. All of a sudden there must be mixed team events in all sports. Some work well, others are just boring. 

The 4x400m works in my opinion.

Posted
Just now, CestaKago said:

Thanks but as strange as it sounds French is not in the first 3 languages I know, even if Romania is part of Francofonie. :)

And generally performs very well at the Jeux De La Francophonie...

Posted
Just now, Col_Frost said:

So they're wasting not only place but also a purpose :d 

Kind of like team ski jumping or beach volleyball...

Posted
Just now, dcro said:

It's redundant. And same gender relays actually do have history behind them.

Every event in swimming after the 100m events are redundant. Team events in Archery and Judo and Table Tennis are redundant. Doubles in Table Tennis, Badminton, and Tennis are redundant. The 200m is redundant.

Posted

The rich only get richer which is useless. Same thing as mass start in speed skating.

Disrespect the best event in Speed Skating and you’ll be seeing me pop up in Poland pretty soon sir :evil:

Posted
Just now, dcro said:

It's sad how Olympic quotas get wasted on an event like mixed relay... 

Relays are a place I believe Mixed events have a purpose and place.

Posted
Just now, CestaKago said:

I didn't understand how that could happen but i think they didn't cross the rules with that. Unfortunately Japan didn't gain any position since 2nd part of the relay and finished last. :(

There are no rules for the order athletes have to run in.

Posted (edited)
Just now, Grassmarket said:

Worst Japanese strategic mistake since attacking Pearl Harbour. 

In all honesty we just got lucky at Pearl Harbour...

Our aircraft carriers just happened to have fucked off for the day.

Edited by Olympian1010

Posted

:IND  in the final!

:BEL  out? What an epic blunder! He had the inside lane!

:BEL get in as lucky loser