Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
George_D

Short Track Speed Skating 2017 - 2018 Discussion Thread

uk12points    370
17 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Wikipedia has :BLR and :SWE qualifying and on a quick glance that looks to be right (in the men's 1500m).

I don't think that is right. I've had a look and I think they are ranked 37th and 38th (once 4th athletes from relay nations) have been taken away and only the top 36 qualify.

The mistake on the Wikipedia page is that Italy has qualified 3 athletes, not 2 and Kazakhstan has qualified 2 athletes, not 1.

intoronto    296
3 minutes ago, uk12points said:

I don't think that is right. I've had a look and I think they are ranked 37th and 38th (once 4th athletes from relay nations) have been taken away and only the top 36 qualify.

The mistake on the Wikipedia page is that Italy has qualified 3 athletes, not 2 and Kazakhstan has qualified 2 athletes, not 1.

They do not need to necessarily be in the top 36. The third Italian + Second Kazakh athlete would be the 4th qualified from each nation (and thus they cannot qualify, as the max is 3 per nation). Therefore the last two trickle down to :BLR and :SWE 

uk12points    370
20 minutes ago, intoronto said:

They do not need to necessarily be in the top 36. The third Italian + Second Kazakh athlete would be the 4th qualified from each nation (and thus they cannot qualify, as the max is 3 per nation). Therefore the last two trickle down to :BLR and :SWE 

Oh, I didn't realise that they had more than 3 athletes qualified across all the events!

Edited by uk12points

Vojthas    43
5 hours ago, intoronto said:

How can third or second be fourth?

intoronto    296
52 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

How can third or second be fourth?

They give all first ranked athletes a quota spot (to the country). When it came down to the 1500m some countries had 3 athletes already ranked higher and therefore cannot receive a quota.

Edit: My bad, I just read the document again and it says spots are given to NOCs not athletes... so it appears yours is correct.

Edited by intoronto

Vojthas    43
On 19.11.2017 at 23:26, intoronto said:

They give all first ranked athletes a quota spot (to the country). When it came down to the 1500m some countries had 3 athletes already ranked higher and therefore cannot receive a quota.

Edit: My bad, I just read the document again and it says spots are given to NOCs not athletes... so it appears yours is correct.

Thanks God, I thought, that four years after my school finishing exams I already forgot the basic rules of maths ;)

DaniSRB    418
4 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Welcome Hungary to the club of buying athletes.

if i am not wrong in article is mentioned that Hungary is country of his ancestors

but more weird is that in USA such high class athletes have economic problems :yikes:

intoronto    296
6 minutes ago, DaniSRB said:

if i am not wrong in article is mentioned that Hungary is country of his ancestors

but more weird is that in USA such high class athletes have economic problems :yikes:

Yea I am surprised at that too. However, you would think there is financial gain to be moving to Hungary.

heywoodu    2,242
13 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Welcome Hungary to the club of buying athletes.

Welcome USA to the club of countries not taking care of their athletes (like Kenya, where I remember a case of a world-class athlete having to fly cheap because some federation official had to fly business class).