website statistics

Canada National Thread

juddy96

De Haitre in the 1500m speed skating is a medal threat, too.  4th at the last world championships on this oval.  Medal favourite Yuskov is not competing, which opens things up a bit.  And don't forget defending bronze medalist Morrison.

Unfortunately (for me, at least), there's nothing during the day for us and then everything happens at once in the evening.  Lots of channel flipping (window toggling).  

Edited by orangeman

1 hour ago, james89 said:

The schedule is totally nuts. There's almost so much on at the same time its worth me waking up in the middle of the night for the curling game, I can justify with everything else. And it being a gold medal match!

The schedule is crazy.  Nothing is going on today, but everything goes at the same time this evening.  Gotta get those North American ad dollars, I guess.  

We've got: curling, short track, long track, luge, x-country and hockey all starting within an hour of each other.  I only have so many devices!

WTF CBC!!!!!  You don't even have short track available on your site???  

Thanks.  Now I see through the app (which took a while to start up) that St-Gelais got DQ.  Awesome start.  Thanks, CBC.  

Edit: I guess it was on the main feed, but it just said "Hockey" at the time.  

Edited by orangeman

Wow! Another exciting day, highlighted by Alex Gough making history in winning Canada's first ever luge medal. Truly historic after three 4th place finishes in luge in Sochi. 

The Canadian mixed doubles team dominated from start to finish in the final. Congrats to John Morris and Kaitlyn Lawes for capturing the inaugural gold medal in that event, and dominating throughout the entire competition

In short track, unfortunate to see Marianne DQd at the start, but great to see a medal from Kim Boutin in the women's 500m. She's 4th in the World Cup so it was nice to see her on the podium. And it's only the beginning as she's currently ranked 1st in the 1000m and 3rd in the 1500m. Look out for her as we go forward for more potential short track medals. 

Again, to no surprise the Women's hockey team defeats Finland. Looking forward to the premier matchup against out neighbours to the South on Thursday. 

Tomorrow will be a great chance to catch our breath, as we likely won't see any Canadian medals. There's an outside shot for Walker/Smith in Luge Doubles, but that's about it. On the brighter note our men's curlers start their Gold Medal defense against Italy and Team GB tomorrow. 

Yup, pretty good day for Canada.  I predicted 3-4 medals, and they delivered.  Short track was messy, basically had a mini-stroke in the men's relay.  Boutin may have gotten lucky, but it makes up for St-Gelais.  Was hoping to see both of them on the podium, but oh well.  I had the pleasure of seeing short track in Shanghai a few months ago and Boutin really looks fantastic.  I have high hopes for her in the other races, but there's always so much going on.  

Gough was consistent enough to get a medal, and you can't help but feel great for her after Sochi.  The other Canadians did great as well.  A concern is that De Haitre looked hurt or something in his race.  He's got the 1000m, which he is better at, in a few days so I hope he gets on form by then.  Another concern is Alex Harvey blowing it in the sprint qualification.  Maybe he's focusing on other races?  Or is this another 'miss' at the Olympics?  

10 medals in 7 sports so far with chances in hockey, skeleton, bobsleigh, x-country and possibly alpine still to come.  The Dutch can win all the speed skating medals and Norwegians can get 12 golds with 3 athletes in cross-country, but Canada is probably the most well rounded winter sports country.  

Edited by orangeman

Overall a very good day for Canada, we grabbed curling gold and won medals in the two "maybe events." Good win for our women's ice hockey team and good initial races in short track. It's a shame that Canada failed to advance to the finals in men's snowboard half-pipe. Tomorrow will be a quiet day, only men's doubles luge has a chance (and even then it's a very small one). The day will however set things up for a few events; men's curling will have its first two matches and pairs figure skating will have its short program.